Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Edward Scissorhands


You’ve seen the movie Edward Scissorhands, right?  I saw it way back when.  I remember the day I was told Johnny Depp played Edward and had my mind blown.  About 3 weeks ago, one of my patients reminded me of him and I was just plain creeped out! 

It was the eyes.  The hollow, distressed eyes that were surrounded by pale, sickly skin just did me in!  The patient also couldn’t talk so would motion or make noises; he was not always the most pleasant.  I remember times when I’d go check on him and be thankful for coming at nap time.  Another time I came in and the patient reached out an arm toward me, kind of grabbing me, and then used me to help pull their body up more on the bed.  It was a bit freaky to have an arm reaching out to grab you, especially with those eyes pelting you. 

As time went on, I started to see drastic changes, for the better.  Normalcy was coming! The eyes became less hollow and the skin became less ashen and more peachy.  A voice was regained and, by the end of the stay, real food was being eaten and complete sentences were being heard!

That’s quite remarkable to see but there’s one instance I will never forget and several lessons learned I hope to never forget.  The instance was during a visit in which the patient spoke basically one word between wheezes.  Still had an Edward Scissorhand-esque look going on and I was still a bit intimidated.  This visit, when the patient saw me come into the room, they unwrapped a hand and grabbed mine.  I didn’t know what was wanted or what was going to happen (again, a little freaky) but I just let the patient hold my hand.  And that’s all they wanted, just to hold my hand and tell me that they wished their son would come to the hospital to visit.     

My heart hurt!  I wished the son would come to visit.  I prayed.  I also prayed for myself because felt very foolish for being so freaked out and intimidated by such a sweet old person.  It reminded me that everyone needs and wants to be loved.

It also made me think that there’s no way of knowing what people think of me or what they say about me.  Heaven forbid I receive a negative comment but I know it happens.  For myself, I just wish I didn’t do it period. 

I recently had this more concretely drilled into my head when a friend was speaking about a mutual acquaintance and made a rude comment about the person’s smarts or lack thereof.  Stunned, I thought I would maybe think such a thing but not say it out loud!  Both are the wrong things to do.  People make mistakes, say silly things, get flustered, don’t listen to instruction well, etc. etc. that may warrant a questionable look but, really, they don’t deserve it.  Giving a look or making a snide comment doesn’t help them or you. 

I looked at my patient like a deer-in-headlights because their appearance scared me and that was wrong.  They couldn’t help it, and the patient needed my help get well.  In the same way, maybe that mutual friend needs someone’s help or maybe just someone to acknowledge strengths and not weaknesses. 

That patient has been a favorite and is now out of the hospital and out of my care.  The son never came, to my knowledge, but other family members did.

Now then, there are a lot of sick people in my hospital.  There are a lot of hurting people there, too.  Yet, sick and hurting people aren’t just in the hospital but all around me.  I hope to be a light for them in order to bring them to the true Light.

No comments:

Post a Comment