Monday, December 8, 2014

Men to Marry


Has there ever been someone who if they asked you to marry them, you’d say yes?  Someone whom you’ve never dated but are "just friends" and possibly not even “close” friends?

Surely I’m not the only person out there with this thought!  I know I’m not the only one who has thought, “Praise God, I didn’t marry THAT person!”.  Haha!  But even if I am the only one with the thought of, “I’d marry you if you asked me,” I’m not ashamed to say that, within my short life, it’s happened to me with 2 guys. 

It seems as though I’ve liked lots of guys in my life and have even been stupidly head-over-heels for some of them, yet, surprisingly, these 2 guys weren’t big-time crushes.  Honestly, they were hardly crushes.  More like, one day the thought popped into my head after talking with each of them that I would marry them if they asked.  No dates.  No questions.  Just a yes.  I think I could say yes to them because they grew on me as I saw them in different lights over the time I was around them and mainly because I was able to see their solid character. 

The one unquestioning “I would say yes” guy was back in high school.  He was a little older and in my brother’s grade, so was more like a friend of a friend.  I saw him at school, of course, and at different events and functions yet it wasn’t until we worked at together one summer that I thought he was a guy worth marrying.  He had so many outstanding qualities but what got me was his love for God being evident in all things in his life.

The second “I would say yes” guy was in grad school.  He was younger and is a sweet friend to this day.  We have a good mutual friend, who would invite us over to relax, have fun, and eat dinner and we’d see each other at campus events.  He also possesses incredible characteristics as well as other important qualities like being easy to talk to, putting his faith first, loving his family, and taking care of himself.  Another big thing was when he was basically my only friend that, when I was talking about going into the Army, asked me if I had prayed about it and if I thought God was leading me to do it.

The first guy I don’t see or talk to anymore, which is unfortunate, yet I know that he found the woman he wanted to ask to marry him and she said yes and for that I’m happy.  I still talk to and see the second guy on rare occasions, and even though he hasn’t found the women he wants to ask to marry him as far as I know, the thing I do know is that she’s going to be stellar.

I am grateful to know them or to have known them.  Because of them and because of some of the men my friends have married, I have seen and know that solid, Christian men are out there, which only makes me more apt to wait to say “yes” to one like them who asks me to marry him.

No comments:

Post a Comment