Monday, December 29, 2014

OU Football


I’m gonna let you in on a little Zoller secret:  we like OU football.  a lot.

We’re actually a house-divided but in a non-traditional way in that it’s parents versus kids.  My brother and I went to OU, while my parents went to the rival state school, OSU.  Don’t worry, we still love them and they haven’t disowned us.

Ironically, we all come together over OU football.  Mom is the only one roots for OSU in the bedlam game, which usually only results in her demise. 

Like most sports fans, we get into the games by analyzing the replays as much as or more than the announcers, showing great lament over a loss, critiquing the commentators, shaking our heads at the players, throwing our hands up at terrible calls, believing we are the best, or putting up high-fives for TDs.   And that’s just when we’re together.

As students, my brother and I would be in the stadium watching the game while my Dad would be watching on the TV at home.  I always got season tickets except for one season, which was a most ridiculous decision.  I went to every game I could, which was basically every single one.  I went to games with my brother until he graduated, and I, unfortunately, only attended one game with my Dad.  It was however one of the most epic games I’ve seen.  OU vs. Notre Dame.  It. Was. Awesome.

One of the great things about being a family who likes to cheer on the same team is that even if we’re not watching the game together, we still text about it.  We have a group text going as I type over the OU-Clemson game.  Don’t even get me started.  What a terrible game!  Still, I’m an OU girl.  Sticking with your team despite an outrageously horrendous game is another blog post, however. 

Anyway, texting my brother and especially my Dad during a game is tradition.  It would be so weird not to text them! We each have our own style of reporting what’s going on or what just went down and we celebrate TDs like nobody’s business. 

My Dad is the most reliable.  He’ll give great descriptions, basically play-by-play.  We use the player’s names and give updates on how we feel they’re doing as well as give statuses on the offense or defense as a whole. 

Our comments and texts look something like this:
“Unbelievable!  On fourth down, we block a pass, catch it, and run it back for TD but are called for off-sides”
“Boom goes the dynamite!  OU scores on a short run then the extra point is blocked.  40-6”
“Boomer”
“Sooner magic”
“TD!!!”
“Our offense is not lookin’ so hot...”

This is what I love and what I’m used to.  One time, when a guy I knew said he couldn’t make the game, I offered to give him updates.  Well, he didn’t know what he was getting into!  He told me later that he was at a wedding and almost jumped up and yelled in triumph during the ceremony after getting a TD text.  Haha!  Needless to say, he didn’t ask for updates ever again, so I guess the Zoller way isn’t for the faint of heart.

Boomer Sooner, baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment