Sunday, January 4, 2015

The G's


Who can deny that seeing a sweet, elderly couple doesn’t just melt your heart?
Who wouldn’t claim to have the best grandparents in the world?
Who doesn’t enjoy being spoiled with love, attention, gifts, and more?

No one.  That’s why you gotta love grandparents!  And boy do I love mine!! 

They are that super sweet couple who have stayed together for years and still love each other so much. 
They truly are the best grandparents to me and my cousins, which has been shown to us in countless ways and probably some we don’t even know about. 
They are the people who selflessly and generously give me so very much.

My grandparents are affectionately called Duke and Lulu.  I’ve never been without them and only recently lost the only house I’ve known them to live in.  They’ve hosted every holiday meal but one that I remember and definitely make sure everyone’s birthday is celebrated.  They attended all my sporting events growing up (despite the freezing cold or the blazing hot sun) and attended all my big moments like graduations.  They’ve taken me on several trips, of which my most favorite has been to Alaska with another amazing couple that are their good friends.  It should go without saying but they’ve won the hearts of all my friends who have gotten the privileged to meet them.

Together they are precious and a powerhouse.  Lulu and Duke or Duke and Lulu, both sound great.

Lulu is our bargain-hunter and world-class shopper.  She. Will. Find. Anything.  And then just give it to you.  “I found it on sale.  It was $___ but I got it for $___”  or “It was on sale at (insert store name) for $___ but I had a coupon, plus I got an additional ___% off, so I got it for $___.”  Another famous line is, “Just try it on, maybe it will look better on,” which is usually never true, fyi.  I swear it wasn’t until college that I started buying my own clothes and I am not complaining!!  She has a heart of gold for so many reasons that go well beyond shopping, like praying for me and giving me good advice. 

 Duke is our jokester and the biggest teddy bear.  He is also super smart and was a very good business man, so I get advice from him.  He will make you laugh out loud or say “Duke” countless times and in countless tones (like “you have got to be kidding me” tone or “I can’t believe you just said that” tone) because he has one of the biggest imaginations out there.  I mean, take your pick: “Here’s a story from ‘Adventures of Little Duke’!” “You should become a nun.”  “You should marry a crooked lawyer because we need one in the family.”  “What about ‘Adventures of Zombie Jessie’?”  “I should write a song for you about looking for a guy.” or “Here’s some Hallmark movie dating advice…”  Yes, my eyes either bulge in utter astonishment or roll because of the utter ridiculousness that I hear, yet I laugh and still dearly love him.

There are way too many good things to say about each of them individually and as a couple along with way too many memories to recount. 

I’ll end with the fact that they are the best grandparents, whom I love so very much and always will.

No comments:

Post a Comment