Monday, January 19, 2015

Friends Are Family


Over the years I’ve acquired some super stellar friends who have super stellar spouses.  So, on more than one occasion, I’ve said or thought that my friends have married well.  Praise the Lord! 

Being able to hear about their marriages, do fun things with them, or even be another shoulder to cry on during one of life’s storms has given me an appreciation for them individually and as a couple.  I just love being a part of their lives!

Incidentally, if I start dating a guy and my married friends don’t like him, he’s out.  No joke.  Not only do I highly regard their opinions, but I also love and enjoy them, so, naturally, I want the eventual four of us to love and enjoy each other.  None of this “I like her but not him” business.  I mean, I have to be with someone they like otherwise our get-togethers might be few and far between.  That would be the worst.  Because…

My close friends are like family to me.  Honestly, I don’t know where I’d be without them sometimes.  I love and appreciate them very much.

Last weekend I went to visit said friends.  It was a pretty spur of the moment trip, actually.  I try to see them on a regular basis but this time my friend texted me about joining her for a gymnastic meet.  She was half joking because it was about a day and a half away but where there’s a will, there’s a way!  I rearranged my schedule and drove up for a fun, relaxing weekend with my best friend, her husband, and their little girl.  Another bonus was seeing a couple other great friends, too.

I’ll say it again!  My close, tried and true friends are like family to me.  They know me so well.  They’ve stayed with me no matter what – distance, inconvenient time zones, different life stages, etc.  They have and will continue to invest in me and our friendship.  They truly love me with all my quirks, flaws, hang-ups, and joys.

That’s what families are meant to do, right?  Stick together despite all odds?  Help each other out when in need?  Laugh together, cry together, celebrate together, or just be together, yeah?  Teach you, nurture you, protect you, guide you, and love you, right?  That’s how I was raised in my biological family and it applies to my spiritual family, which encompasses my close friends.

Granted, some friends come and go, yet I’m thankful for all the friends I’ve had over my lifetime because God gave each of them to me at the right time.  Whether we were best of friends or more like acquaintances, each friend has made my life richer. 

Then there are the gems you think so fondly of.  I think of one of my best friends.  She’s a forever friend.  She’s the one I would reschedule my weekend for on short notice in order to see.  She is my only running buddy, and she knows me maybe better than anyone.  As her mother said, we’re good for each other.  We can talk about our worst fears, our worst sins, our hang-ups, our problems, our triumphs, our joys, our random news, our accomplishments, or our “what am I doing with my life!” exclamations and know that we’ve got a prayer warrior, a listener, a tender heart, an encouragement, a cheerleader, a warm embrace, a pep talk, a needed laugh, and so much more in and from the other.

On top of that, her husband has me spoiled.  He’s like a cool older brother with whom I am good friends with.  He expertly drives me and his wife on race day and he’s comfortable talking about a plethora of subjects.  I know he cares about me by the “drive safe” texts and the “when are you coming back to visit?” query.  Melt my heart.  Plus, there’s the fact that he’s a good, godly man who loves his family and provides for them.  Then let’s me come and join on the occasional weekend. 

I don’t know what will happen in my future, but I do know that I will see my best friend and talk all about it with her!  I don’t know whom I will marry, but I do know that he’s got to be as spectacular as her husband.  I don’t know if I will have kids, but I do know that I am a loved “Miss Jessie” by their precious girl, whom I’ve adopted.  (Hopefully the one coming soon will follow suit!)

And I for sure know that I love them all!

No comments:

Post a Comment