Monday, June 15, 2015

The New Job


Germany.  Australia.  Maryland.  Alaska.  North Carolina.  California.  Texas.  Hawaii.

What do all these places have in common?  Well, it ain’t a travel list.  They’re all checked off ;)

These are places where I saw a Dietitian job opening.  For all but Australia, I put in my application.  Though, I found a loophole for Australia, so that will be added back to the list if I look for another job…

Germany was my dream job – being abroad, inpatient setting, Army atmosphere, and much more!  Alaska would have just been for the beautiful surroundings.  Hawaii and California, too, but they would have brought the opportunity to surf.  Maryland would get me on the East Coast and bring back fun summer memories.  Same for North Carolina but would have brought more friends and some family as well.

After the searching, the saying of no thanks, the hoping, the waiting, and the ultimate saying of “put me where you want me, God”, I have a job that I pretty much love right in the best city of Texas.  I didn’t have to move.

I’ve changed from a clinical out-patient setting to an in-patient setting.  So, I work in a hospital and, yes, I can wear scrubs. 

There are so many things I like about the job!! 

I definitely like the challenge.  A patient may be on my floor for a certain diagnosis but have a lot going on what with co-morbidities, terrible-looking lab work, and medications, for instance.  Plus, you have to take into account their past medical history and past surgeries.  Then keeping up with what’s going on for follow ups and what not. 

I like using my brain, being busy, and feeling productive.  You’ve got all the above happening from “the challenge” but I still have to assess patient’s nutritional needs so I calculate how many calories and how much protein someone needs.  If they’re on tube feedings, I have to calculate fluids and pick the best formula to meet their needs.  It’s not too hard and having to see around 15 patients a day (right now) keeps me busy, which makes the day go by fast.

I like bringing it all together.  It’s kind of like a puzzle.  I’m putting pieces together backstage so that I can then come to the patient with a pretty complete picture.  Based on what they say and what I’ve found out from charts, I recommend the best thing for the patient to the doctor or ask the nurse to implement exactly what I want done.  For the most part, what I recommend is done or ordered by the doctor, which is another win and way to feel like I’m making a difference.

I like the patient interaction.  You get all kinds!  The majority of people are pleasant.  So far, only one has been a bit rude, one has not cared what he’s flashing, and one has just said an off-handed comment.  One got my cheeks to go pretty rosy.  Among the compliments and good advice, he said that he’d date me if he were younger.  Yeah, he’s 80.  Haha!  He’s my favorite so far, though, just sweet and harmless like a grandpa would be. 

I like the educating.  Actually, I love to do diet educations so I’m really happy that I have floors where the doctor’s request them regularly.  It’s more patient interaction, which I want, and it’s a good way to see what the patient knows and what the patient is really doing with their diet.  Trying to find the disconnect in about 10 minutes time doesn’t always happen but it’s still an enjoyable conversation.

I like my boss and co-workers.  The office space is kind of small for so many RDs but it’s nice to be in my own world, in a sense, but still be able to collaborate over patient needs.   Everyone is really nice, and I’m getting to know the nurses of my floor, too.  The nurses tell me about different patients and are getting comfortable with me, since I’m technically replacing an RD who went to another part of the hospital.  I have big shoes to fill, I’m afraid, but they seem to like me so far!

I like the job perks, such as paid lunches because I will never forget my lunch again!  I also love being able to bike to work! 

Oh, I’m sure I’m missing stuff but you get the picture.  God has me right where He wants me and I’m happy! :)

1 comment:

  1. I had a giant smile on my face the whole time I was reading your post. Not only does God have you exactly where He wants you, doing exactly what you love (staying busy for one), He has brought things full circle. After Jordan's transplant we had to meet with the hospital team regularly. One of the members of the team was the dietician. I'll never forget your dad turning to me one day and saying, "You know more than she does." That was after I had put our entire family on The Hallelujah Diet--to great effect. I have no doubt all of that had a subliminal impact on your career choice. And again, you are exactly where God prepared you to be. I know you will have a great impact on your patients.

    ReplyDelete