Tuesday, September 6, 2016

A Real Sound Check

What's your favorite sound?  Kind of a weird question, right?  Well, it was posed during one of those multi-question, get to know ya, everyone has to answer dealios.  I found it quite an odd question so that's probably why I've never forgotten it, even after all these years.  My answer, after a while of thinking, was that my favorite sound is my phone's text message chime.

That was my answer that day and still is to this day.  Seemingly ironic since I don't care to have my phone glued to my hand, but perfect because, when I hear it, it's like be-be-be-be-boop  Guess who...  be-be-be-be-boop  Someone loves you...  be-be-be-be-boop  Someone wants to talk to you...  be-be-be-be-boop  Someone is going to make you laugh, smile, or both...  be-be-be-be-boop!

It just makes me feel good.  And I love certain things in regards to texts/that sound:
1) I love it when I leave my phone alone for a good while and come to a screen filled with texts and/or calls (aw, feel the love),
2) I love it when I hear the chime and look at the screen to see that it's from someone who I wouldn't have expected or from a guy I particularly like (duh. what girl doesn't like that?!), and
3) I love it when I think about someone and hope to see there name pop up and then it does (totally happened last night!).

Know what else makes me feel good?  All the times I've heard, "I've missed you!" or "I'm so glad you're back!" or all the times I've received a big bear of a hug when I see people.  That makes me feel loved after traveling and being gone for months.

A huge reason why I feel that way and why life is so great is obviously because of people, especially those I love and cherish.  The past 3 days have been overflowing!  I've been able to spend each day with friends, and it's been the best!  Me, my best friend, and her family watched football and ate delicious food all day while intermittently entertaining 2 little ones, playing board games, and throwing horseshoes outside.  The next day was filled with a house-warming party with more food, more friends, and some super intense ping-pong games followed by "watch out, things are going to go down" Scattergories playing.  Lastly, the roughly 7-mile hike that proved fun despite our original thinking of only going a short distance, which was then rewarded with cooling off in the pool while passing a volleyball around amongst a lot of laughter and then chilling with yummy pizza and a classic Indiana Jones movie.

Like I said, the best.  Of course, there were some friends I thought of and selfishly wished they were with me, yet I know they were right where they needed to be so I couldn't wish too hard ;)

I suppose I'm so thankful and being slightly sentimental because I know it could all be gone in an instance.  More so, I was reminded of that after speaking to a friend just before those 3 days took place and then personally reminded while driving home from day #1.  My friend has received some health news that is serious, and I almost got into 2 different wrecks due to the other driver's lack of skill, honest.  However, both circumstances provided a check for me.

I already know I'm saved, so I'm not afraid of dying.  I know God is in control and I'd be with Him in heaven.  I'm just not sure I'm going to like how it happens -- I mean, I'd like to die in my sleep when I'm well into my 90s!  Who knows when death will take me, but I'd like to think I'm ready.  Still, there are certain points in life when things happen that make me stop and think, make an evaluation of how I'm living my life right now. 

Am I building people up?  Am I burning bridges?  Am I listening to God?  Am I living selfishly?  Am I harboring anger towards someone?  Am I holding onto some one or thing that needs to go?  Am I being the best Dietitian I can be?  Am I making an effort to see or stay in touch with family and friends?  Am I worried about what's out of my control?  Am I relishing what I have versus thinking of all the have-nots?  Am I needing to change?  etc.

Thankfully, I'm still alive and can still hear my favorite sound as I work through things and know that God is working on me and equipping me.

No comments:

Post a Comment