Monday, August 11, 2014

Go Army ...?

You know that moment when you've been pursuing something for awhile and you forget about it because you're waiting for the other party to respond?  Then they finally do, and it's positive, so you think back, "what the heck did I say to get them to accept me?!".  It just happened to me.  Thankfully, I saved what I said:


My passion as a Registered Dietitian is to assist a wide range of people to lead longer, healthier lives through sound nutritional practices.  I desire to eat well and be healthy so that I can live a fulfilling life, and I would love to share this mentality with others and offer practical ways to accomplish it.  Thus, having the opportunity to treat and prevent diseases, offer education on nutrition, advocate best practices from reliable research, properly assess nutritional needs, or supervise and create meals only reinforces my decision to make a difference in society and in individuals through dietetics.
While I was growing up, living a healthy lifestyle did not seem unusual because my family consciously made nutritious choices in order to help my oldest brother, Jordan, improve his chronic health condition.  Living with a sick sibling gave me a unique perspective on health, and I realized that what a person eats could help or hurt his or her wellbeing.  This mentality stayed with me as I went through high school and college.  I pursued a Bachelor’s in Health and Exercise Science, which laid a solid foundation for my future health profession.  This degree’s curriculum provided a varied and broad approach to health by presenting benefits, concerns, and ways to better promote wellbeing so that people can reach their optimal health.  A required class was Introductory to Nutrition, which sparked my desire to become an R.D. in order to enable people to be healthier through better food and life choices.  In the end, this degree supported my endeavor to pursue dietetics in graduate school.
As a graduate student, my learning became more concentrated but no less rich.  My knowledge has deepened through the University of Oklahoma’s program offering excellent courses to complete the D.P.D. requirements, whether the class was Medical Nutrition Therapy (MNT), Non-energy Nutrients, or Nutrition Management.  I also stretched myself by taking courses outside my discipline to gain a broader perspective, to discover new loves, and to gain a Master of Science degree.  For example, I participated in a Preparing Future Faculty Program, which opened my eyes to the world of teaching while fostering a love for it.  The program supplied numerous opportunities to improve my presentations skills, which are important for counseling individuals or educating groups.  In addition, an independent study course allowed me to expand on my summer trip to Israel in regards to global health, food, and nutrition and to blend my love for dietetics with traveling, experiencing different cultures, and learning from others’ perspectives.
 Throughout my life, I have demonstrated a positive attitude, loyalty, being a team player, diligence, adaptability to new places and situations, and a desire to help others of any age.  I always strive to be responsible in all areas of life and to look for ways to learn and challenge myself.  These characteristics are not only confirmed by others but are also evident in my pursuit of higher education, running marathons, joyful personality, love for travel, and work ethic. 
With everything that has helped to mold the young woman that I am today – family dynamics, years of education, outstanding professors, experiences abroad, extracurricular activities, various jobs, encouraging friends – I anticipate my future in the US Army to further my personal and career development.  Working with the military would be an honor and a very meaningful way to serve my country as I share my skills and passion.  I believe that joining the US Army would allow me to flourish personally as well as professionally.  Becoming a US Army Reservist, specifically, would provide unique opportunities to work with elite individuals, to participate in humanitarian missions, to serve our great country, and more.  Furthermore, since I aspire to be patient-centered in my work as well as a sound interdisciplinary team member, I would love the opportunity to collaborate with the best medical staff in order to improve the health and wellbeing of our nation’s soldiers and veterans, who have sacrificed so much to keep our country safe and free.
Again, I am excited to be considered for an Army Reserve RD position and look forward to gaining more knowledge and expertise, which I will in turn use to better other people’s lives.  Thank you for your time and consideration.


The above is one piece of my application to the Army.  Now to decide if or when I sign the dotted line...

No comments:

Post a Comment