Thursday, July 31, 2014

Oh, Facebook...


Oh, Facebook.  How do I loathe thee?  Let me count the ways…

1.   You don’t really have that many friends.  I mean, for real, how many of my “friends” are really my friends?  The ones I talk to on a regular basis and actually see and talk to IN PERSON??  Crazy, I know, yet people rely sometimes solely on social media or technology (i.e. texting) to talk to others.  Lame.

2.   People only post what they want you to know, which is typically only the best thing going on at that moment.  How much discontent or jealousy does it cause?  Someone once said it should be called JealousBook.  Don’t get me wrong, people posting great things like new jobs, engagements, having a baby, getting a promotion, passing an exam, etc. are all great things and should be celebrated.  Just remember that people struggle with things or have terrible things happen to them but aren’t posting about it.

3.   It can definitely be a time waster.  How much life is being sucked from me?  The amount of time I get on FB ebbs and flows.  I went through a phase when I’d get on at least once a day for a good 20 minutes, just sifting through my newsfeed.  Other times, like the phase I’m in now, I hardly get on and when I do it’s for 5 minutes tops.  I realized there are more things I want to be doing and more important things that need my time and attention.

Of course, my relationship with FB is definitely a love-hate one because there are other reasons why I don’t like it and there are several reasons why I do like it, such as using it to set up Skype dates with my friend from England.

Anyway, kudos to you if you’ve chosen to have or keep an account in order to keep in touch with actual friends, say, with whom you can’t see face-to-face.  A big round of applause to those of you who post the good and the bad of life.  Bravo to others who aren’t letting their account steal all their time, and hats off to those who have deleted their accounts altogether for personal reasons.

There’s more to be said about FB and technology, but I’ll save it for another rainy day.    

No comments:

Post a Comment