Thursday, July 17, 2014

Cooking's Company


I once had a guy want to cook dinner with me at his place.  It didn’t happen.  He had other factors stacked against him, but, in the end, it was the fact that I didn’t feel like I knew him well enough.  In my defense, it would have only been the second date.

Don’t get me wrong, I like going on dates and I like cooking.  I’m also not opposed to cooking on said date, especially when there is good food and good company.  It’s just that I cook with people I know because even then it could be disastrous.  Flashback to a friend who felt like she couldn’t help because I would think it was wrong.  Sad day.  (We worked it out.  No worries.)

Everyone has a different cooking style, whether it’s by the book or, in this case, by the recipe, e.i. it says ½ teaspoon of pepper, so I must measure exactly ½ teaspoon of black pepper before adding it, while others make a few heavy shakes and say, “That’s about ½ teaspoon” or “Eh, that looks good.”  I’m not knocking either because I definitely do both.

Everyone has different tastes.  Some crave Italian food, while others love Indian food.  There are those who can’t stand seafood or turn their nose up at tofu, though there are others who like gorgeously green salads or drool over a good, juicy burger.  Then there are vegetarians, vegans, or someone trying to keep up with the most current fad diet.  So many appetites to appease and so much good food!!  How do you decide what to devour??

Well, it shouldn’t matter.  What matters is with whom you share it.  Cooking a meal together can be a fun and great way to get to know someone better.  I have lots of fond memories whilst in the kitchen because I remember the company and the conversation, not what we ate or how we prepared it.

I once said, “If we haven’t cooked together, question our friendship.”  So, here’s to many more great recipes to be made with even better company!  

No comments:

Post a Comment