Monday, July 28, 2014

Blast from the Past


I’m a saver.  And I like it. 

I save all sorts of stuff: bills, papers, pens, money, pictures, letters, articles...  I may not need it in that exact moment, but I will use it eventually, so I keep it.  It could be something mundane like a twist tie.  For real!  I keep some on hand in a kitchen drawer because I use them sporadically.  I just used one to hold together a decorative piece I placed in my living room, in fact.  So, I like to think I’m resourceful, too :)

This is something only my Mom may know.  I’m totally telling on myself!  I keep my class notes.  Maybe it’s the geek in me, but, yes, I’ve used them -- again.  No, not to start a fire.  While in grad school I was taking a class on energy nutrients and we were discussing the different processes that take place in our bodies.  Think Krebs cycle, sodium-potassium pump, Cori cycle, fat metabolism, and so on.  I’d heard all of it before in an undergrad class called Exercise Physiology.  I really liked that class, especially because the professor taught everything in a very clear and understandable way.  Welp, I saved the notes from that class and looked at them for my grad class, which helped me make it through!   Like I said, keeping things comes in handy.

I’ve been cleaning and organizing as of late and have discovered notes, pictures, and all sorts of fun stuff that I’ve kept over the years!  Even though I’m throwing some things away (I’m not a hoarder!) or using it for decoration/display, running across mementos of good times brings joy.  From high school to college days, from events to travels, I’ve pulled up memories that have been filed away with an inch of dust on them and have been good to some that should have gone to the shredder to never be thought of again.  To be fair, 99.9% of things have been wonderful blasts from the past!  Here are some examples:

a letter from my best high school friend that made me laugh then and now
a small note in Francais from my freshman roommate in college (and still good friend) letting me know that she was off to her French exam and that she’d see me later
a sign and decorations and writings from my residents when I was an RA
a letter from my sweet brother saying how much he loved me and wanted me to continue to follow the Lord
a note wishing me a “happy 1st marathon” from my best friend and running buddy
a painting from a awesome friend(s)
an acronym of my name from my Middle East team
a football ticket from one of the best games – epic win and my Dad went to it with me

It’s nice to look back and see who was in my life and loved me… 





 

No comments:

Post a Comment