Sunday, February 22, 2015

New Adventures


Every single day brings new possibilities, new opportunities, new people, new challenges, new joys, and more.  One question is, are you seeing them?  Another is, are you taking advantage of them?  The past three days for me have not disappointed.

I went to Battle Assembly and have been on go in so many ways.  Good ways. 

I’m very new to everything military but am trying my best to learn… and quick.  It seems that every battle assembly sheds new light on something or allows me to do something I’ve never done or, quite frankly, thought of doing in my life!  Like I said, this battle assembly didn’t disappoint :)

On day 1, I was asked to take part of a training, so I said yes.  Off I went for the afternoon and all the next day for it!  All I can say is that I got to be the Commander for the exercise and it involved radios and vehicles.  Got a picture to prove it :)  Super fun.

Day 3 had me in the kitchen helping cook, bake, and serve chow.  I probably looked like a deer in headlights at the start because both my higher personnel had to be gone for awhile, which left me all alone, but it was nice working with my section and other soldiers to get the job done. 

Other highlights from this battle assembly include:
1) my unit getting a new patch, so I got to see and partake in the ceremony while learning the meaning and significance behind the patch we wear 
2) I got all my Army gear!!  I am now the proud keeper of all things Army like rucksack, helmet, camelback, pistol holder, winter gear, sleeping bag, and legit protective eye gear
3)  I got to lead my platoon!  I haven’t been formally trained to do so but, thankfully, I got through
 4) It’s amazing that I can go to bed early and get enough sleep on these weekends but at any other time that basically never happens
5) I was given 2 hats from 2 different guys because mine was too big, which was very sweet of them
6) I really like my unit Commander because he’s very approachable and nice; he may give me additional responsibilities – whoo!
7) I’m pretty sure I’m on the good side of one of my superiors.  He said I did a good job after the training exercise :)

One of the best parts was getting help from a Private First Class.  He was beyond great!  I know it’s his job to do what I say, but since he’s not in my section and I just asked him to help, I was very grateful for all that he did.  He went above what I asked and gave me a lot of great information.  Let’s just say, he’s a good go-to when I have basic questions about how things should go down in the Army world.  I had met him at a different battle assembly but this one solidified the friendship. I mean, I did give him friendship bread, so I feel like it’s official now.  Yay for new friends! 

As you can see, the last 3 days have held many new experiences and new enlightenments.  I can’t wait for more (!), and I have to say that I am so very glad I went into the military and I’m happy to “go Army”.  Now to see where I go from here!

No comments:

Post a Comment