Monday, March 16, 2015

I Heart Guatemala


How do you explain 7 wonderfully full and unique days abroad in such a little blog space??

Well, you don’t.  So I won’t.

There will be photo sharing, phone calls, conversations, and the like to spill the real deal in all its fine details, to be sure.  I’ll be giving a fairly broad brushstroke along with some beautiful pictures right now about my time in Guatemala.

Now then, even though I’m young, I’ve been blessed with opportunities to travel a lot.  Each trip is memorable and different and leaves a mark.  So... What impacted me the most this trip?  It’s the simplest, yet most complex answer: people – before, during, and after.



Before I left, I was overwhelmed by those who gave so that I could go on the trip to Guatemala.  Two donors gave almost 100% of my needed funds.  That, to me, is absolutely amazing!  Moreover, I don’t even know who they are!!  I like to send thank you cards to my supporters, but I can’t because send one to them because they decided to give anonymously. :(  So… Thank you, whoever you are, for sending me!!!



During the trip, I was overcome by the Guatemalan people we helped, by the translators who helped my team, the individuals who were a part of the ministry my team partnered with, and, finally, the people I lovingly called teammates. 

The Guatemalans are a kind and grateful people.  They put up with my Spanish and thanked the team profusely for their help.  It was spectacular to see their needs being met immediately, such as sight being restored with glasses or knowing that the pain would soon be over after the problem tooth had been removed.  Honestly, I was reminded that a sweet smile can cross persceived communication barriers and tickle fights are also universal as well as so stinkin’ fun!

The translators we were so blessed to work alongside were nothing short of fantastic!  They’re life stories touched me.  Several were born into poverty, given to an orphanage for a better life, and are now in college!  Wow!  I take my family, my home, my upbringing, and my education for granted every. single. day.  Others were already doctors and were taking the next 2 years to study in order to become doctors in the States.  Wow!  I thought I was dedicated to my dreams and goals…  They all generously let me “use their Spanish” and taught me a lot of new Spanish words.  We also came away with some sweet inside jokes :)

My team partnered with Manna Worldwide.  They did so much for us – gave us a place to stay with hot showers, made us lip-smackin’ good food, drove us everywhere, teased us, provided agua pura, and so much more.  Best of all, they showed us their hearts for Guatemala and told us how it happened.  Many blessings to them and the work they’re doing for the Lord!

The 21 people on my team were incredible. I only knew a handful at the beginning but, by the end, I knew I had friends.  Since the group was so large, I was shocked at how well we worked so well together without drama and simply just enjoyed each other’s company.  Praise God!  We each had our strengths that shined while at work in the clinic and different personalities that shined all the time.  Major props to our fearless leader.  And the trip would have been quite dull without the ladies who bunked with me!  Oh, the fun we had no matter the time or place!



After the trip, I was sweetly reminded of others praying for me and my team through a dear friend’s letter.  She came into my mind while on the trip, so I prayed for her and her family.  I don’t think it was a coincidence.  She is involved with Gospel for Asia and has a huge heart for mission work, in general, and Indians, specifically.  Furthermore, I knew others were praying because there were times I knew God was working through me because what I was doing or how I was acting was not of my own accord and things happened that could only be coordinated by God.  Thank goodness for prayer!

I was further encouraged by a friend on the phone when I was explaining what I did on the trip as a “floater” and stated that it was frustrating at times and that it showed an area of struggle for me.  He gave me a new and better perspective of my role for which I’m very grateful.



Yes, people impacted me, my expectations, my memories, and so much more but even more so is God’s impact on my life through this trip.  I know what some of those things are already, yet I look forward to more light being shed in the days and years to come!



^ view from our lodging ^


^ :) ^


^ hammock... FTW ^


^ Demolished by me and Katie ^



^ an orphanage near our lodging ^



^ the view and clinic space on day 1 ^



^ the kiddos I colored with ^


^ just driving with this beautiful view... NBD ^


^ teammate and roommate, April, with a sweet one ^


^ I got to weigh the babies! ^



^ our translators ^


^ Santa Biblia ^


^ too cute ^


^ my favorite, especially because our friendship was sealed with a tickle fight ^

No comments:

Post a Comment