Saturday, June 11, 2016

Nice

I didn't know what to expect of people up here in South Dakota.  I honestly thought they'd be a bit gruff and not that friendly like in places on either Coast.  Thank goodness I was wrong!  Very wrong.

The South Dakotans are THE nicest people!  I mean, I thought southerners like Texans and Oklahomans were nice, and, truly they are, but the South Dakotans are getting my label as the nicest people for sure right now.

I realize it depends on who you come into contact with, like any place.  A fellow co-worker had the opposite thinking -- that people weren't that nice in SD, so there ya go...  Yet, my experience has been incredibly positive and that's what I'm basing the bestowal of my "nice" award.

Several people here have made friendly teases -- I was running along a 1-mile long loop and a gentleman called out, "You can't lap me!" to which I said after laughing, "Doin' it!"

Several people have made friendly conversations -- literally met this woman for 2 seconds asking her to let me into the workout room and we ended up chatting it up for a good 20 minutes about working out, South Dakota, things to do here, not missing out on Sturgis Bike Week, etc.  She was so bubbly and sweet!

Several people have taken me in -- coworkers know I know absolutely no one and nothing about the city so they've offered to do fun things with me or to let me tag along!  I  just went hiking with one today, who said if I needed anything at all to let her know (I know she really meant it), and am going to do yoga with another tomorrow :)

My Supervisor and her husband are allowing me to stay in their trailer and have made sure I have everything I need, while I'm just trying to not be a bother...

My co-worker has been so gracious to answer all my random questions and she still wants to go to Devil's Tower with me! -- I asked her where to get my car oil changed, where there's a pool, things to do, where to workout, where to get a massage ... it's quite a sporadic list and she's nicely answered them all.

From my limited time in the hospital, the nurses and doctors seem nice and that they do a good job for the patients.  I mean, a doctor spoke to me twice already AND knew that I was a Dietitian and what the heck I did (never happened at my last facility), so that's super refreshing.

Obviously, South Dakotans get the "nice" award as a group and some of those individuals I've encountered have come close to getting my "nice" award for an individual.  Maybe with more time they can snag it!

However, that individual award would have to go to one of my guy friends from Texas.  Several come to mind and they are THE nicest guys!  You know, the well-mannered, well-wishing, accommodating, warm-your-heart pleasant, and most helpful kind of guy.  One has lent me countless tools to finish my DIY projects and gave me little things at work like popcorn.  Another gave me a heater so I wouldn't freeze in my new apartment, gave me tickets to the Colonial, and sincerely wants to know how I'm doing.  The third gave me good music recommendations, introduced me to a running group, and just communicates well.  So, yes, he actually responds to your text with whether he can go to the event you invited him to or not or gets back to you explaining why it took so long to reply.  Isn't it crazy that that's not the norm these days?!

Now, I expect people to be nice and to do all those things that these two friends do and have done.  High expectations.  It's just unbelievably appalling that more people are not truly, genuinely nice, not wanting anything in return. 

Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of nice people.  Many I take for granted.  It's just that those gents stand out because they are that genuine "nice" all the time that I've known and been around them.  I'm also not the only one who thinks such things, which only strengthens the argument. 

Maybe I also like them and the South Dakotans so much because I strive to be that way; they are an excellent example of how I want and hope to come across.  Of course, I know I can by no means be that nice without God.  May I always be as nice: sincere, kind, delightful, helpful, friendly, gracious, and more!

No comments:

Post a Comment