Friday, June 24, 2016

God's Provision

Life's new adventure in South Dakota has given me so many reasons to be thankful and to give God praise!  I wasn't sure what life would look like as a travel RD but I have absolutely no doubt that I'm right where God wants me.

Having that peace is wonderful since doubt can and will creep in.  While chatting on the phone with a Texas friend (hint, hint), I was talking about missing people, trying to stay in touch, making new friends and then leaving for the assignment, having a life in Texas and then leaving for a time, etc. and all the effort that it takes to stay in touch, to build a life and make friends in a new place, etc. ...yet still having peace in knowing that God's got me and that I'm where He wants me and doing what He wants me to do.

I'll start with the people I've met since people are the most important.  I mean, it's definitely forged relationships that last no matter time or distance.  I'm only closing on my third week here but know I have a life-long friend in a co-worker.  We just get along so well!  It's like we've been friends for ages.  I mentioned one day that we must have been twins in another life; She said it was like the Lindsay Lohan (before she went crazy) movie "The Parent Trap" and we were discovering our twin for the first time.  Yeah, it's like that.  She thinks I'm pretty great, which is sweet and gives me the warm fuzzies, but I think she's the best!!  She's smart, beautiful, freakin' hilarious, sassy, and absolutely adorable.  {Guys, she's taken.}  She's helped me out around the hospital and she's down to do fun stuff outside of work like go with me to swim aerobics or yoga.  We can have a serious conversation, going deep, one minute and then make each other laugh hard the next because we just get each other what with our funny voices, facial expressions, and verbiage.  Our supervisor heard us talking and laughing one day through the wall, so when we asked if we could go to a conference together she teasingly asked if we'd actually go and pay attention in the sessions or if we'd just giggle.  No promises :)  But seriously, there are only a handful of people I've met with whom I immediately hit it off to this level, and I love it.  Truly grateful. 

Although, I favor this co-worker there are, of course, others I enjoy too.  There's an equally beautiful, smart, and nice co-worker who I've had the pleasure of going hiking with and going to church with within the first week of coming to town.  She also kindly and seriously told me if I needed anything to just let her know.  I anticipate more sushi dinners, hikes, and general good times ahead with her!  Another co-worker I feel just needs someone to talk to, so I listen.  She's also been an incredible resource for learning the ropes of the hospital's charting/ordering system that I knew nothing of before arriving.  I'm look forward to getting to know the newest employee, who's already stated that she wishes I would be staying.  Finally, my supervisor is an amazing clinician so I am beyond grateful and excited to be able to learn from her.  Just today, she gave me some great feedback on a medical note and I got to observe her placing a naso-gastric tube into the small intestines for tube feedings.  It was so cool, "my excitement for the day!"  She has gone through a lot professionally and personally recently so it's nice to come, even for a short time, and help alleviate some of the heavy workload. 

That's one thing I really like about this gig.  I feel like I'm helping them out by coming on board when they need the help most, yet they are most definitely helping me be a better, more well-rounded, and learned RD as well as helping me grow and shine as a young lady.

Those are the new SD people I've had the opportunity to have influence me but it's been fun to see who I get to talk to each day whom I already know.  It's been crazy but so great to get a text or call from someone randomly or for me to contact someone if they pop into my mind.  Every single day since being on the assignment I've talked on the phone or texted a family member or friend.  It's nice to be loved and to be able to share life, ask questions, get advice, receive encouragement, shoot the breeze, plan a future trip, whatever! with others even if they're not physically close.

Other things I've seen God's provision for or with are somewhat small things but, in the end, can make a big impact.  One such thing is just being able to relax and slow down.  I was happily busy every night in Texas by my own doing.  Up here I'm basically forced to take things easy, for more than one reason.  I've made myself a bedtime and a work schedule for the day and stick to it as best I can, so there's that.  I don't know as many people or things to do here right now so turn in early, it seems, because of those factors.  Plus, I have a books I want to read, I have movies within my reach to watch (I've watched more movies in the past few weeks than I have in years!), I have blog posts to write, and I have a dog park nearby to walk around to make new, cute, furry friends.

Beyond that, I've hurt my knee and want to give myself the best chance of a full recovery (It's probably 50-50 so prayers appreciated!), and I'm not the best at resting so...  I'm glad I'm able to still bike to work for some easy exercise and a great way to start the day :), I'm glad I have free access to the rehab gym at work, and I'm glad I decided to find a swim aerobics class before the knee injury was finalized because I know I can exercise in that way.  Besides, the older ladies who attend class are nice, spunky, and funny!

Lastly, having the time and means to go explore on the weekends is incredible!  I'm sure I'll be back this way one day but, for now, I'm taking advantage.  I plan on going spelunking, going hiking, going to Mt. Rushmore, going to Yellowstone, and much more!

These are just some things that demonstrate God's provision in my life and I'm looking forward to discovering more and going deeper in the ones I see now.

No comments:

Post a Comment