Friday, July 1, 2016

Such a Heathen

Church has been on my mind lately.  Undoubtedly, this is because I find going to church important and, thus, regularly attend, because of the recent plight of our nation and the world, and also because I have been pulled from my home church and have tried other churches while away.  Weirdly, it has been good.  I have experienced more appreciate for my home church, I have thought about why I even go, I have thought about the church's platform in society, I have given myself grace if I happen to miss a Sunday service, I have been able to see other churches and decide what are must-haves, and I have done more Bible reading as of late, possibly because I might not make it church.

While visiting a friend I made at my home church, who happened to move to SD, she stated during a telling of a story about herself and her husband, "We have to go to church!"  It was a no-brainer to find and go to church!  I wouldn't have thought anything of it, yet, as I said, church has been on my mind.  As Christians, we deem "going to church" as vital and we notice when it's been too long since attending. 

My friend and I used to live in "The Bible Belt" where most everyone calls themselves a Christian, granted.  Maybe that's why I think of "going to church," as in you regularly attend at least a Sunday service and are involved in at least one other church sponsored event, such as a small group, as a sign that you might actually be a legitimate, born-again Christian.  Of course, there are people all around with facades, whether they go to church or not or are a legit Christian or not!

Anyway, I want to talk about going to church in general.  Obviously, I have reasons why I don't go to church, mainly being that I have something typically un-reschedulable going on that weekend.  I've given myself some grace because life happens.  For example, I previously had to work on certain weekends and I was so pooped after the day that I didn't want to go do one more thing even though I technically had the time.  So, I get it.  You're not always going to go to church and it will okay.  I try to not feel guilty about it, though the feeling does creep up ever so often.  This might stem from me being so used to going to church and seeing it as a an item that I'm not checking off my list.

I've definitely tried to get away from the checklist Christianity... Did I pray today? Check. Did I read my Bible today? Check. Did I go to church on Wednesday or Thursday or Sunday or whatever day? Check. It's kind of exhausting and takes away from the fact that my personal relationship with Christ is what matters and needs to be strengthened.

However, that doesn't negate the fact that I think church is important because it is!  I need to hear the gospel; everyone needs to hear the Gospel.  Church is where this can happen.  Church also gives me other things I need, such as guidance, challenges, and conviction of my sin through the sermon/Word of God being spoken.  I also enjoy church for the corporate worship and fellowship.  I mean, I have a lot of friends that are just from church and I love them to pieces!  They offer a godly counsel and wisdom that is much needed as well as encouragement, hope, joy, as well as life experiences and advice coming from a godly point of view.

One thing I've struggled with lately is why people don't go to church.  Maybe I have a crooked view in that going to church is letting you check off an item on the list, but I also view it as a good, healthy habit much like brushing your teeth.  One brushes their teeth because they learned when they were young to do it every day for good oral hygiene, right?  In the same way, I have learned from a young age to go to church regularly for good, healthy spirituality.  For any relationship, you have to spend time with that person and going to church is a way to develop and grow my relationship with Christ.  Because of this conviction and mindset and seeing the Church as a subject on numerous occasions throughout the Bible, when I learn that someone doesn't regularly attend church, I just wonder why.  I know I can never know their heart and I can't know their thoughts without asking.  For example, my friend's husband stated he didn't go to church on Sunday's for a time due to the fact that he'd become a bit burnt out.  He was doing personal study, other Bible studies, meeting with other Believers, etc. all throughout the week and was then making Sunday a day of rest.  Still, he was proactive and said it was for a time and that he also had had a bad experience with a pastor so needed time to heal, re-evaluate, and take personal time.  Fair enough.  I can't know what is going on in someone else's life, but I can encourage, kindly ask and invite, and I can also try to not be the judge that I typically am.

For when you point a finger, there are three fingers pointing back at you!  For instance, I think a reason people don't attend church is because they've become lethargic, which I most definitely have been in the not so distant past.  I just didn't feel connected with the people I saw at church and didn't feel like they were reaching out to me. (Yes, that street goes both ways.)  Still, I didn't have motivation to attend the service or I would just come late.  However, it seemed that the times that I didn't want to go the most was when I needed to hear the message the most and when I was the most refreshed.  Happens all the time!  Funny how that works.

Now that I'm away from my home church and attending another for a short time, other things have popped up. For example, a friend and I attended a Sunday service and liked it pretty well so then attended the Wednesday night service. We had to leave early on Wednesday and felt pressured to stay. I didn't really appreciate it, and it made me think twice about how I might come across to others.

Hear me now.  I'm not saying that if you don't go to church that you're not saved.  I'm just saying that I struggle with someone who says they are a Christian but they don't attend church since I see going to church as an outward sign that you are trying to follow Christ and that that's what I'm used to.  I realize God can do whatever He wants, so you don't have to go to a building to be in His presence or grow in your relationship with Him.  It's just necessary for me so that I have fellowship and that I am regularly hearing the gospel, among other things.  It's also something I look forward to having in common with others.

When I ask people if they go to church or if they want to go to church with me I'm not trying to be pushy or anything.  I'm trying to be genuine!  I'm a curious person, and I ask a lot of questions because I think you can learn a lot if you just ask.  (I think I'm getting better at determining when to stop asking questions.  Oh, there are several stories for that one!  Haha!)  Plus, I'm a huge proponent for doing things and doing things with other people.  I'm going to church, why not join?!  You might learn something, you just might like it, you might meet someone cool, you might learn of opportunities to serve and help the community, or you might understand God's love for you better!

No comments:

Post a Comment