Friday, July 8, 2016

Happy Place

Do you have a happy place? 

A friend mentioned that his Dad gets a pass to The Grand Canyon every year.   At first, I was like, "Whaaaat?  Seriously.  Why?"  He said it was his happy place.  It was then that it made sense and I was like, "Oh.  I like it."  I then questioned whether or not I had a, as in one, happy place.  I most certainly do not!  Thankfully, my friend doesn't either, so I'm in good company.

I just can’t imagine having one, lone happy place.  I’ve been to too many places that have been absolutely spectacular, which is a definite blessing.  I truly tried to think of dubbing just one place as my true “happy place” and my head started to spin with the complexity of the criteria required on how to choose and the self-induced pressure to pick just one place.  I was reeling through all the cities and towns and sites I’ve been able to enjoy.  I re-visited memories… seeing people’s faces pop up (some of which I haven’t seen in years), getting the warm fuzzies all over again…!  I mean, there’s just no way to pick just one place! 

This is a good thing and something I hope I never lose.  Sure, some people or places trump others -- I have some places I'd like to visit again (and yes, some I could do without visiting again) and some memories with people I'd love to relive (and some I'd definitely not miss reliving) -- yet, overall and in the end, I hope to continue to be able to find joy and happiness with the people in my life and the place where I am at the time.

Recently, I've been more conscious to look up and look around, contact someone who comes to mind, or put on some music.  It's the simple, little things...  The clouds with their touchable fluffiness or their wisps sprawling across the vast blue.  The sunsets with their multitude of rich colors begging you to capture them, though a picture never, ever does it justice.  The hikes in nature to survey the beautiful, green landscape complete with rock formations that dare you to conquer them or remember their name or both.  The friend who seems to be enjoying life to the fullest and posts pictures to share.  The friend or family member you just have to call and tell in your "cutely excited" way all about your happy life and then hear the thrills in theirs.  The standing in awe of a National Monument that is quite impressive in the flesh and now being checked off your bucket list with a new forever-friend.  The picking of raspberries in the cool of the evening in your own backyard to great tunes you love.  These are just the things I've done this evening or in the past couple of days!  I've realized that life is and can be full of joy.

So, isn't it a shame when our happiness and joy is taken from us?

You see, life is full of joy no matter where you turn if you're finding that joy ultimately from God.  This is easier said than done, in a sense, which is why joy can feel fleeting, out of reach, or non-existent.


That article was timely for me because only a few days ago I got the tiniest bit bummed, more so distracted.  I was distracted by things I couldn't even control, things that might or might not happen in the future.  They were stealing my joy in the present by weighing on my mind or filling my head with thoughts that probably weren't true.  For example, my friends are vying for me to stay full-time in SD but my boss has made no mention.  The thoughts go something like this: What if she does offer me a job?  Can I live in SD despite the winters, not having front porches, and not having two-stepping (basically the only two things I miss from Texas so far)?  What about that crush?  Would life be as good as it is right now?  Would I take the job?  and on and on.  Of course, it's not that I don't want to plan for the future nor is that I want to be in my own little, happy, sheltered world that I don't see the bad that goes on (see blog entitled "Off in My Own Little World"), but it's the fact that I don't want to be consumed with "maybe's" or "what if's" that can be blinding when I think about my job, my love-life (or lack thereof), my family, and the list goes on. 

I'm going to keep taking things one day at a time and cross bridges when they come.  I'm going to pray.  I'm going to search for ways to be in a happy place because I might not be offered the job, people don't text or call, I might be home alone on a Friday night, people post about their perfect body or workout or food creation, I might feel like an idiot at work (yep, that's another post coming your way!), etc. etc. etc.  There are just so many people and things that can make me feel lame, envious, unloved, ignored, ungrateful.  They can take my joy if I allow it.  Live and learn:  learn that this is possible and what to do or say to avoid it, and live in true joy in Christ alone.

So, how are people or things seizing your joy?  Better yet, how are you going to combat it?

No comments:

Post a Comment