Thursday, July 21, 2016

Adding to Life's Adventures

"You've seen and done more than some see or do in a lifetime!"

My Dad said this to me some time amidst my twenty-fifth year of life, if memory serves.  At first, I thought it was crazy talk.  "Pssh... more than someone's done in a lifetime??"  Preposterous!  There's so much I haven't seen or done!  Not possible. 

Then it hit me.  I think he might be right.  I thought, "What about those people who never leave their hometown or state or the country?"  Now that's preposterous for sure.  I mean, doesn't everyone like to travel and want to have an adventure?!  Don't people want to learn new things, experience new cultures, taste new and yummy foods, get a whiff of different smells (may they all be pleasant... though I think we remember the terrible ones best), or just simply branch out from their "normal" world??  I'll never know, though I propose that most people do want all the above.  They may just not get the opportunity, have the means, have the time from work, or... there are a myriad of other reasons that hold them back.

I honestly tell people the opportunity and ability to experience so much in such a short amount of life is truly one of the biggest blessings.  There are many reasons for this, yet one of the most influential was when my grandfather told me to do things while I was young since he has always wanted to go to Machu Picchu but can't now due to his health and bad knees.  I vowed right then to not let that happen and ever since then I feel I've kept that promise to myself.

After my Dad's statement, I reflected on some of the things I've done, some of the people I've seen, and some of the places I've been.  There really are too many to regurgitate, and I could talk for hours about travelling, so I'll leave that for a future blog, a good phone call, or lovely in-person conversation.

Needless to say, approximately three years have passed and I still believe my Dad's statement, while I constantly add to it's reality.  For example, I secretly want to go abroad at least once a year, and I've done it so far.  I mean, apparently I'll jump on a plane for a concert and then decide I might as well see three countries instead of just one while I'm over there!  When I get something in my head... :) 

This past three-day weekend was no exception and was spent in National Parks.  Yes, two national parks!  Grand Teton and Yellowstone, to be exact.  It was so spectacular!!  I, of course, need more than this blog and your 5-minute attention to really get to the good stuff, and there will be things I tell no one but in short:
 
I checked off 3 states in my quest to see all 50! 
I saw natural wonders like the famous Old Faithful and the Mammoth Hot Springs. 
I hiked a lot.
I loved being out in nature!
I liked finding the perfect postcard-esque shot.
I actually enjoyed driving (what is happening?!)
   1) the scenery was breathtaking -- Wyoming and Montana, I heard you two were beautiful, and you did not disappoint.  Idaho, you were a pleasant surprise.
   2) I find ways to entertain myself -- probably because I haven't driven with someone in a loooong time and start laughing after random thoughts or because I like the feeling of the wind in my hair while blazing a trail at 80mph.
   3) I have really good music -- a friend said he doesn't like too long of drives because, "You can only listen to music so long."  I gave a puzzled look and just said, "You must not have good music."  He needs a good music picker-outer like me.  Clearly.

So many things in so short a time!  There's just something to be said for going solo out in the open, without a care.  Just me and nothing else, putting down the camera to take a forever picture with my mind and relishing the fresh air, the majestic bodies of waters, the crystal clear blue skies.  Not to mention the thankfulness in my heart to God for His creation and for the ability to hike, to be alive, and to experience the parks right at that epic moment.  Just me and a bunch of other tourists.  Boo.  So, I treasured the hikes by myself that had untouched and unpopulated spots.  I also really enjoyed doing whatever I wanted!  If I wanted to stop, I did.  If I wanted to get ice cream, I did.  If I wanted to go fast, I did (I overheard an elderly man say that I was speed-walking.  Dang, right).

Of course, I also realized some other things about myself.  I noticed that I was the only single person, and I was okay with it.  I've grown accustomed to doing things on my own (not always by choice, trust me).  I still go do things because life doesn't begin with a significant other nor do adventures happen only with friends.  But, for real, the perks of being by yourself are obvious.  One downside this trip was having a middle-aged man call me "Baby" as he told me not to hurt myself and tried to help me over a rock.  All I can say is that speed-walking has many benefits.

I realized that I'm glad I don't have kids right now but, if that day comes, I'll be happy.  There were the typical whiny kids who don't know how good they have it, the rambunctious boys trying to outdo one another, and the cranky teen not wanting to do this any more to which I heard, "too late!"  I also saw the cutest little boogers who looked like Dora the Explorer come to life, who perfectly posed for a snapshot, or who were gently reminded to walk on one side of the path and to take big steps.  So precious.  Made me think and miss my besties little girls and made me want to be that cool Aunt even more.

This one is not new, just hasn't happened in awhile.  I liked not having phone service while in the park.  Yeah, I completely disliked when my GPS didn't work as I was trying to make it back home but I made do.  Anyway, I like to use my phone for pictures, music, GPS, and the obvious phone calls/texts, but I could do without it, honestly.  Although, I had it on me because, if something happened, I would have a life-line... supposedly.  More like I had it on me for my Mom's peace of mind.  Seriously though, unplugging from technology and the constant connectedness is a must.  I wish it happened more often sometimes. 

Thankfully my camera worked, so for those who requested photos in my blog or for those who don't have Instagram, you get a treat of some pictures!



The Grand Canyon of Yellowstone
Looking out over the fall, Looking back at the fall



 Mammoth Hot Springs (original and Instagram enhanced)


Yellowstone landscape


 
Montana


Montana still


Pit stop in Idaho for a quiet pic of the super green landscape
Wyoming (Instagram enhanced)


Wyoming still


The top of Signal Mountain, Grand Teton


Pano of Jenny Lake, Grand Teton


View from Jenny Lake



 

Saw quite a bit of wildlife and eventually stopped like the typical tourist
but my favorite still is the lil chipmunk!


View while hiking in Grand Teton


Leaving Grand Teton


Stopped to see some Yellowstone geysers while making my way to...


Old Faithful


Destination view while hiking in Yellowstone


Enjoying that same hike with all the different terrain


 
As if it's necessary... proof I'm enjoying myself! 


No comments:

Post a Comment