Wednesday, March 29, 2017

Gifts (Part 2)

Two days ago I wrote about gift giving as re-gifting, trying to show some love, and the beauty of giving in general.  This post is a little piggy-back on that because yesterday I was given a yoga mat!  So fun! 

I have no idea if my yoga buddy read my last blog post about giving gifts.  She just claims it's an early birthday present.  Guys, my birthday isn't until August.  Haha!  It's definitely a sweet friend thinking of me :)

In fact, I have a lot of people who think of me and show me in delightful ways.  One such way is with little gifts.  For example, two super nice guy friends seem to always have something for me whenever I see them.  It's typically food now that I think about it... Haha! That's a-okay in my book!  It's very kind of them, especially since I've been restricted on foods lately (another post to come!) and the one buys what I say I like and can have.  Then there's my twinny who gave me a matching SD spoon ring, my bestie who gave me a book that reminded her of our relationship (and she wrote a sweet note in the front to me), and my brother and sister-in-law who gave me a set of 5 pearl earrings that I wear all the time.  Literally.  All the time.  I have a pair in right now. 

Those are just some of the most recent and tangible things, and I love it.  Gifts are just good and fun, especially if there's a note/card attached :)  Honestly, I personally give cards/notes to stand out and to try to better convey what I think of the person receiving it.  Thus, I spend time on what I write and assume others do the same.  Maybe not, but I still like to think it!  I mean, I know it's not everyone's cup of tea so some won't get it (*cough* guy I'm crushing on *cough*), but notes, gifts, and quality time are the top ways I show and receive love so it just makes sense to me. 

My upbringing had an impact, I know. My Mom loves with words and she's pretty artsy, so she'd write notes and put them in mine and my brother's  lunch bags, which were cutely decorated.  I vividly remember one bag with my name boldly written in black magic marker framed with a big, tilted, red heart.  I loved it.  Aww, good Mommy! 

I also spent a lot of time with my Grandparents.  My Grandfather, Duke, always had us grandkids huddle around to tell us crazy, made up, funny stories so I think quality time is big for him.  My Grandma, Lulu, practically bought every piece of clothing I put on my body while growing up.  She always explains her purchases and it goes something like, "This was originally $176 at Dillard's but there was a 75% off sale on clearance and then I had a 20% off coupon on top of that.  I saw a mark on it so the lady at the register gave me an extra 10% off.  I already got it out.  I only paid $2.89."  I mean, the store basically pays her to take merchandise.  This is Grandma talk for "I love a bargain" and definitely "I love you."

Going on a small rabbit trail and the flip side of love languages, my Dad and brother love in ways that are not my strong suits, which are acts of service and physical touch.  Once I learned this, though, I made the effort so they felt loved.  For instance, I wash cars or do yard work for/with my Dad and I try to make sure I give my brother a big hug when I first see him and when I say goodbye. 

So, back to gifts.  For me, it doesn't matter the price one pays, whether something is used or brand new, or how "simple" it might be as long as it comes from the heart.

I suppose the bonus is a gift from family, whom I'll always love; from wonderful friends, whom I hold dear; or from a boyfriend or crush, who has the extra, extra bonus of giving me the butterflies ;)

When the day is done, though, I hope I will be thankful for what I receive no matter what it is, think of others and not just myself, and continue to be a giver, not a taker. 

No comments:

Post a Comment