Thursday, May 22, 2014

Titles are like tattoos, right?


I don’t think I’ll ever get a tattoo (knock on wood) but that’s just me.  Sure, I’ve seen some really nice ones, like my friend Jen’s birds and script on her upper arm.  However, I have probably seen even more not so nice ones.  
Despite possibly not liking some tattoos at first glance, I like them more when the meaning behind the tattoo is explained.  I can definitely appreciate it more.  I think this is true of titles, too.

My title, Broken but Beautiful, has several meanings:
1.     I am broken.  I know we’ve all heard, “no one is perfect,” but it’s true.  No one has it all together or all the answers.  Granted, you may have things more together than someone else at a certain point in time or may not struggle with the same things as a friend, but you will not have it “all together” all the time and you will have struggles, too.  I realize my inability to be perfect all the time but definitely when I see my sin.  One set of verses I read that shined the light on my brokenness was Romans 3:10-12.  No one is righteous; no one does good.  No one even seeks after God.  I am broken and need a Savior.
2.     I really am beautiful!  I’ve been made in the image of God and am the child of some good-looking parents.  Plus, despite society making me feel like the b word should only be used for the top 2% of the population, I believe I am beautiful.  And although it may be cliché, both inside and out.  God has taken what was once broken, dark, and unworthy and made something beautiful, bright, and absolutely lovely.  It also doesn’t hurt that, over the years (like the last 3, haha!), I have learned to enhance my “God-given beauty” with make-up.
3.     I like alliterations.  They’re catchy.
4.     It was on my mind.  I recently saw a picture of a piece of pottery that had been broken but then repaired with gold to its original shape.  Now it is considered “more beautiful for having been broken.”


Whether you like my title more or appreciate it more, I have no idea but hopefully you’ll keep reading what I have to say to gain more understanding (like a good book, right?) and for sure now know the meaning behind the title. 


No comments:

Post a Comment