Friday, September 12, 2014

Grocery Store Tour

During my dietetic internship, I was with a Registered Dietitian (RD) who conducted grocery store tours.  I really liked them because of the plethora of information given, having a captivated audience, and having to be up on your knowledge to answer any question thrown at you.

When a doctor at my clinic suggested I do them, I jumped on it!  Not many dietitians are able to do these tours, especially as a clinical RD which is my official title.  Yet, educating people about nutrition is a passion of mine, and I like being hands-on.  So, what better place to teach than right where people buy their food?!

It's been an adventure I take with my patients and one co-worker each month.  By the end of the tour, their heads aren't swimming with too much information, thankfully, and their faces are beaming.  They can't get over how helpful learning about food and nutrition is, and they can't say thank you enough!  Knowledge is power, I think, and doing the tours is really fun and rewarding!

Not too long ago, a friend of mine wrote an article about the grocery store tour after attending one.  I think she did a great job on the article!  Check it out:

http://www.1dental.com/blog/2014/08/19/grocery-store-tour-how-to-shop-and-eat-healthier/#more-5899

No comments:

Post a Comment