Friday, February 10, 2017

Life is Fun Sometimes

It was a brilliant idea, I thought.  It will fit easily, I thought.  It will be used in your new place and look cute again, I thought.  Delusions of grandeur. 

Note to self: some ideas will slap you in the face ...and others will be there to witness it.  Because that thing you use to store your shoes in your room that you're so proud of since you're repurposing something, well, it is not happening in the trunk of your car!  Shoes strewn everywhere.  Rearranging an almost packed car.  Exasperation.  Feeling that you're losing the battle and telling your landlord so.  Yep, that happened. 

And yet, hours later, it all worked out and I'm on the road.  (Praise God!) Not without, of course, an attitude check and trying to call a friend for help, saying packing up and moving is terrible and I want to take it all back.

However, I know it's the right thing to do.  All this packing, moving, and cleaning is necessary, even if it's not the "fun" I want to be having.

This travel life is the life I've chosen right now, and it is good.  It is for many reasons, some of which I mention to myself or others.  I mean, sometimes I just need to hear it out loud to reassure myself.  

This upcoming assignment is no different.

People have lovingly asked if I'm excited about West Virginia, and I can honestly say I am now, despite the shoe debacle and the overwhelming amount of stuff I tried to cram in my car.  I could not have said this about two days ago, though.

As I reflect more on my job (and just where I am in life), I keep coming back to the people I meet, how I see God working, and how I'm learning and growing.  This is why I'm doing what I'm doing.  

There are people who I'll try to keep up with because they've been put in my path and on my heart, even if they want me to let go or vice versa.  There are times I see that only God could have orchestrated, and then there are times to reflect, learn, and grow. 

Just last week, I was remarking on how small the world is.  I met a young lady about my age who had moved to Texas after spending the last 10 years in West Virginia.  Excitedly, I said I was about to leave for West Virginia!  Cue small world comment.

Also cue instant friend. :)

Besides the fact that I don't think this is just coincidence, I thought about the fact that one friend of mine recently stated I possibly have a big world.  I know why he said this and I agree because for some things I do have a "big world" picture.  However, for other things or instances, I'm finding I have still have a "small world" view.  For example, my big world picture is in my mindset of the world being my oyster and, wherever I go, trying to make friends and keep in touch as best as possible since I value people and relationships.  Not everyone gets this or does it, and it's okay, up to a point.  They may just see things differently than me, though they may have a frame of mind of "us four and no more."  I don't agree with the latter because I wouldn't want to be closed off or not challenged by thinking outside of my little bubble.  Even this is a process.

I'm finding out from these travel assignments, my community/world/bubble is big, is growing.  I'm no longer just in one place making connections but several places making lots of connections. 

Honestly, what if we all operated with (and kinda reverted back to) that mentality -- that the world really is a big, wonderful place -- instead of the cliche small world mentality?  Or maybe it's more along the lines of getting outside of my own little world that I've grown accustomed and comfortable with?

I get it.  Technology and travel, among other things, have connected us like never before!  And it's great.  There are many people whom I love to see snap shots of their life and/or hear how they're doing, which has to be done through different technology avenues.  Not my preferred method at all but it's all I've got in some cases.  Still, this can actually extend my small world problem.  I know I rely on FB, for example, instead of picking up the phone or Skyping. 

Beyond this, I have been known to get so caught up in my world and what's going on in my life at the moment, I miss the big picture or the greatness that could be had!  Because, if it's not in my backyard or in my preconceived plan, I don't go for it or don't even think about it.  That's unfortunate.

On the one hand, it's almost unfathomable to me to have this happen since I try not to have it happen ...but it still does because no one is perfect and there are legit things to get caught up in like raising a family well and bettering yourself or your family.  I'm obviously in the bettering oneself camp for now, though I thankfully have good examples to see the family dynamic take an edifying priority.  On the other hand, I think I have some important things in correct perspective to enable myself to have a big world outlook.  I love God and seek to know Him.  I value people and relationships.  I want the best for others and will do what I can to help them out.  I let go when it's healthy and necessary or just as life takes a turn since communication is a two way street that demands two willing people to make an effort.  Etc., etc., etc. 

Anyway, I contribute my larger worldview to my faith, my upbringing, and my traveling.  Sometimes my outlook is especially highlighted when I come across an individual or circumstance that's in contrast to it.  No surprise, right?  But getting out of my bubble as of late with traveling the US has provided ample opportunities.  It makes life fun.

Those who share a similar, larger scope on life, I've noticed, have a faith, have traveled, have experienced a true need for a friend, or a combination thereof.  

I think of my friend who I met playing soccer.  He is good at inviting and including others in what he is doing.  He has also continued to be a presence in my life despite my moving around, which I'm beginning to feel is rare.  I think it stems from his desire to love people.  

I think of my friend, my PT guy, whom I've probably literally only done three things with due to time and distance, yet I still call him friend and appreciate him.  He's willing to keep me posted on life and shoot me a text if he thinks of me and respond to mine.  I think all this is partly from being a traveler as well, not too long ago.  

Another friend's world is growing.  He offered to let me store my things in his garage.  There's nothing in it for him except more clutter, honestly.  I really appreciate it!  I think as he grows in his relationship with God, he wants to show the love that he has been given to others in practical ways.

Yet another dear friend is having her world stretched by volunteering and reaching out to the community.  It's hard work and she might not get the recognition or appreciation desired, but she will in heaven.  I see she is willing to serve and to try and change kid's lives.

These friends, I feel, share or are growing into a bigger picture, in that people matter whether they're across the street or across the globe or whether they've known someone for one minute or one's lifetime. 

So, the "fun" moments and truly fun moments matter.  They are preparing me for what lies ahead and who I meet.  Maybe they need me or I need them.  Either way, looking forward to it!

No comments:

Post a Comment