Thursday, February 21, 2019

Riding the Bench

My grandfather used to tell us grandkids that he was "riding the bench" when we asked him to go on a ride or do something with us but he didn't want to.  It was a clever way to say, "Nah, I ain't doing that."  Growing up, I didn't like it but now I think it's funny.

That explains the title.  I'll talk about another bench here soon, though.

Last night, I couldn't sleep well due to a massive headache.  I was tossing and turning, just dosing.  Earlier, during my shower time, I was praying and thinking.  The wheels were turning before I hit the sheets.  It's fun to see God work.

I once was asked if I write my posts all in one go.  And yes, 97% of the time, I do.  That's not by chance.  I think I get a small stroke of God-genius!  Especially since some of the stuff I say can't possibly be coming from me.  And I write it.  Usually it starts in my head (shower time), becomes more concrete in a bit of time (tossing in bed), and then is penned (what you're reading now) with a few additions.

I love it!

This particular post came about after talking with someone close to me.  The long of the short is that I ended up saying this:

"I think both our current situations lend themselves to the important facts of relying on our faith and needing to tell ourselves the truth, not just one day but every day.

The truth is what God says.  And it can be applied to ourselves and to our circumstances.

We might also need to simply ask Him what He wants us to do or learn or ask why we're here [in this situation].  I asked Him for one reason as to why I had to stay longer where I am and I believe it was so I could meet and become friends with a certain woman.

I think these verses are better in context and I mainly thought of verse 28, but still, read them:

Romans 8:28-32 from the Amplified Bible
28 We are assured and know that [God being a partner in their labor] all things work together and are [fitting into a plan] for good to and for those who love God and are called according to [His] design and purpose.

29 For those whom He foreknew [of whom He was aware and loved beforehand], He also destined from the beginning [foreordaining them] to be molded into the image of His Son [and share inwardly His likeness], that He might become the firstborn among many brethren.

30 And those whom He thus foreordained, He also called; and those whom He called, He also justified (acquitted, made righteous, putting them into right standing with Himself). And those whom He justified, He also glorified [raising them to a heavenly dignity and condition or state of being].

31 What then shall we say to [all] this? If God is for us, who [can be] against us? [Who can be our foe, if God is on our side?]

32 He who did not withhold or spare [even] His own Son but gave Him up for us all, will He not also with Him freely and graciously give us all [other] things?"

I said a couple other things and hoped they'd be encouraged, at the very least.  I have no idea if they were or not but that doesn't matter in my opinion.  Plant the seed and let God do the rest!  Hard to do but I try.

Anyway, I thought of verse 28 because I believe God will work things out for our good "to and for those who love God and are called according to [His] design and purpose."  Despite the bad, the pain, and the frustration, God has a good plan.  Now, my attitude during those times could be the problem and definitely needs tweaking...

So, while tossing and turning, an image of a bench came into my mind.  It was a long, older-looking piece.  It had definitely been outside and had seen better days.  Then I imagined God perfectly painting it with a stark, no blemish white.  It then went through a storm and had that distressed look and another one and looked strained and more patchy, but it didn't matter.  God joyfully came to paint it again in that beautiful white.

I thought about it.  And figured, I'm the bench.

I go through rough times and look or feel the worse for wear.  I'm distressed, anxious, frustrated.  Yet, I go through good times and look or feel free.  I'm beautiful, peaceful, beaming.

I will always be reliant on God, no matter my circumstances.  I am being patiently painted by God, who has the perfect stroke to make me into the woman He created me to be and who won't ever quit until I'm with Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment