Friday, June 13, 2014

Hablo un poco de Español


At my work, a lot of the people I see speak Spanish and only Spanish, so it’s frustrating to not be able to effectively communicate how and what I want.  It’s equally frustrating to have an interpreter in the room and not know what the client and interpreter are truly saying.  It’s as if it’s a secret code but you can’t decipher it or like someone is talking behind your back but they’re actually right in front of you!  It’s also really frustrating to hunt someone down who has the time to translate for an interview.

Having to deal with all of that has made me highly motivated to learn Spanish.  I mean, I always wanted to learn another language.  Granted, I thought it would be French because I think it’s so beautiful and because a dream of mine was to open a boulangerie.  I could bake and speak French all day and be so happy living in Paris, mais oui. 

I did end up going to Paris with my brother and spoke French with the natives.  I had just finished my third semester of it in college.  It came in handy to get around, buy things, order food, and such.  Not gonna lie, I was pretty proud of myself for speaking French, and for that reason and many, many others, that trip is one of my most favorite trips.  I fell for with France and speaking French.  I can’t remember much French now, but I most definitely want to go back to France and see the countryside, at the very least. 

Back to that wish of opening a boulangerie…  Well, I went to one in the States and decided I love to bake but I don’t want to get up at the crack of dawn to do it!  So, that’s out. 

Anyway, I unfortunately didn’t take any more language classes in college and absolutely none in graduate school, but thank goodness I had taken a language way back when because it is helping me now as I teach myself Spanish.  (Any hints or tips would be appreciated!)  It’s funny, though, that French words pop into my head when I’m searching for the Spanish words.  For instance, whenever I want to say yes, I almost always blurt out “oui” instead of “si”!

The ladies at work laugh in a kind way and help me, mainly with pronunciation.  They’re really nice and patient with me, which is necessary since I speak like a toddler, at best.  I test phrases on them that I’ve translated through an on-line dictionary (scary, I know) and have started to memorize.  It’s nice to have something in common, something to work on together as I get to know them and them me.  They all say I’ll be speaking Spanish in no time. 

Like I said, I’ve always wanted to speak another language.  I just didn’t think it would be Spanish.  I’ll try my best to learn it, though, to be able to communicate, to not be frustrated, and to connect with people.

No comments:

Post a Comment