Monday, June 9, 2014

Tears, Soccer, and Love


Two things happened yesterday that haven't happened in a long time.

1)    I cried
2)    I played soccer

Two separate events.

Crying was brought on by a lot of factors, like life struggles, missing my friends, and losing my keys.  I had been talking to one of my best friends on the phone about life and not knowing what to do in a situation.  Strangely enough, I had already envisioned her giving me a hug earlier that day.  I began to cry and wished that she were really there to give me a hug.  She lovingly listened to me even when I choppily spoke between sobs and said that, if she could, she’d be there with me right then.  Love her and miss her so much!

I sniffled while thinking of the friends I’ve left, not having anyone here in Texas who truly knows me, and trying to find my keys.  I called my brother and, thankfully, he came over to give me a hug and to help me search.

No luck on the keys, but I went off to play soccer that evening anyway.  I figured it would be a good way to take out some frustration and whatnot, even though I haven’t played in 8 or 9 years.  That was the least of my worries.  But yeah, I might have stupidly signed up for an adult, summer soccer league without having played in an organized game since high school.  Yikes!  I thought we’d have subs, that I could ease back into things.  Wrong.  I played the entire game, which was two, 45-minute halves.  Double yikes! 

It felt good to play, actually.  I realized very quickly, though, how much I’ve missed playing a team sport, how competitive I can get, and how out of “soccer shape” I am.

Oh, well.  It’s just every week.  Bring on the icing and soreness!   Bring on the best friend talks and the brotherly love!  Hold the tears and the losing of keys!

No comments:

Post a Comment