Wednesday, April 5, 2017

The Perfect Date

I recently saw this laugh out loud post listing date ideas for guys.  There were legit dates given, like mini golf, going out for breakfast, go-carting, attempting an escape room, and going to a concert/listening to music together.  There were also some cutesy ones, like playing with puppies and going to the beach (picnic maybe?!), and definitely some off-the-wall ones, like burning things and taking over Poland.  Haha!

This got me laughing, obviously.  Then it got me thinking that a guy doesn't have to do something super fancy every date.  Going to a show/sporting event, having an outdoor adventure, or watching a movie is acceptable in my book, as is cooking at home.  Don't get me wrong, guys, a woman likes and wants some thought put into what the date entails and a bit of fine living and dining ever so often -- think fancy restaurants and big ticket items from jewelry to weekends away!

Still, no lady will ever complain about flowers and chocolates or the like, sweet compliments, your effort, getting dressed up, and your complete attention :)

Whether it was a true date or just a delightful outing, I've done a lot of fun things in a lot of cities.  So, if I were in…

Fort Worth, TX
It's my home for now, so outings would be filled with some good friends (maybe the quintessential double date).  Putting on our boots for some two-stepping after licking our lips at Rodeo Goat or a place along Magnolia Street with all the yummy food choices.  However, I would definitely want to do a Chef's tasting at The Bastion at some point.

Rapid City, SD
I'd want to go do something outdoors -- kayak, ride a motorcycle, enjoy music downtown, or hike.  Somewhere in the mix, I'd want sushi and Silver Linings' epic ice cream!

Des Moines, IA
Hands down, I would want to visit the Raygun store to laugh our heads off!  We could then venture over to eat at the super delicious Tacopacolyse after window shopping downtown.  It definitely wouldn't hurt my feelings to grab a shake or tea and chat at Smokey Row.

Columbus, OH
If we went to the planetarium and then had a picnic outside, bliss.  There are just so many green spaces in Columbus that you couldn't go wrong!  My inner nerd would need to be fed by going to the COSI museum.

Knoxville, TN
Seeing the city on bikes and dining at The Tomato Head is a must.  There are plenty of offshoots from this awesome city to explore history, hear good music, go hiking or whitewater rafting, or just relax in a cabin in pure nature.

St. Louis, MO
Yes, I've seen a lot in this city, but The Arch is too iconic and full of history to miss.  There are a lot of good places to eat here, such as Pi Pizzaria, so it wouldn't be hard to choose something to check out.  As for other things to do, I think it be fun to pop into The Magic House because I haven't been since, well, I was a kid!

Austin, TX
Not too far from Fort Worth yet seemingly a world away due to its eclectic culture, outdoor adventures, and good eats, it'd be hard to mess up a good time.  Pick an adventure and a restaurant and go!  I think you could do this ad nauseam here and not get bored.

Norman, OK
The place I still feel is home because of my alma mater and sweet, close friends.  So, anything with said friends will win every time.  Every.  Single.  Time.  Throw in some sporting events and campus walks and you're golden.

Why am I telling you all this?  No, it's really not to help some guy out.  Guys can be creative and thoughtful; they'll be fine on their own.  It's also not to describe the "perfect date" because I don't think it exists.  Although, I think that notion might change when a guy is on one knee with some bling.

Seriously, I thought it would be a fun way to A) test a theory and B) describe some great places I've seen and could see myself living.  Oh, don't even get me started with international cities I'd live in!!

So, yeah.  I could see myself in Rapid City or Des Moines or even back in Norman.  Never would I ever had thought or said that a year ago for some of these destinations.

It really is amazing what travel does to you and for you.  Sometimes, it's just unexplainable how a city can grab you in such a short amount of time, how much is offered in one place, how home-sick one can get, or how much appreciation for what you left is truly in you.

I'm not quitting the travel gig until something solid is lined up, but I'll be looking for a FT job in these cities while keeping myself open to others, if the job is right.  We'll see what God does!

No comments:

Post a Comment