Sunday, June 4, 2017

Homeless but Not Hopeless

Since leaving West Virginia about three weeks ago, I don't have a "home" address.  I'm not even sure where to call home almost at this point.  Oklahoma...?  Texas...?  Where I'm headed...?  It's kind of sad.  Though, I've made a joke of it now with people by frankly saying I'm homeless with no explanation up front.  It's quite humorous.

I'm like a leaf blowing in the wind or a gypsy traipsing around the states.  Depending on the scenario, it's good, fun, hard, or all of the above.  An example of this would be packing up my stuff.  It's kind of fun because you're playing Tetris with all your stuff, trying to squeeze it in into every corner of the car or bag.  That's also hard.  You just don't know how much stuff you have or what limited space you have until you actually try to fit everything into a minuscule area.  But then, it's good -- you finally get everything to fit into said area and you're off!  The bonus is when you can actually see clearly out the back window; triple bonus when you can see out your back window and side mirrors!  ...I mean... this always happens.  Safety first!

Traveling so much has also definitely brought out some personal flaws, like trying to remember where the heck I put something to use or to give to someone else.  So frustrating.  Case in point, I set aside my Mother's Day card and a friend's birthday card and then forgot them both, so they were going to be majorly late.  Thankfully, my friend didn't mind and I was able to write a sweet note in the book I gave her instead.  My mom just said she'd rather hear my voice anyway and to save the card for next year, haha!

Back to the fact that I don't have a current address.  Sometimes I'm not sure what to tell people.  Do I give my parent's address?  Do I say I'm about to know my address in South Dakota and just hold tight?  Do I give them the address of the place I just left?  Depending on what is needed, all those have been used.  The parents have won out almost, I suppose,(Extra mail for you!  You're welcome.), otherwise it goes something like this... 

I was talking on the phone with my Commander and he asked, "Now where is home?"  I paused and said I didn't have one.  I felt the brimming of a tear, which I repressed, and carried on in the conversation.  After a minute, he asked again, "Where is home?"  I said, "No, really.  I don't have a home right now.  I'm literally driving through Kentucky with half my belongings in my car, while the other half are in a storage unit in Texas."  That time he believed me and just remarked, "Oh yeah... because you travel so much."  Yes, exactly.  That thing called my crazy, fun life and, ultimately, my job.  Then he followed up with, "Are you driving and talking…?"  Uh, oh.  Guilty.  My Commander said I was in trouble but he was kidding, thankfully. 

Now here's the latest and greatest in regards to traveling and my job.  And, consequently, the answer to the question I've gotten several times:  When are you going to be done traveling?  

Well, kinda now.  I've decided to take another contract job in South Dakota and I'm very excited!  This one is much longer, however -- like unless something unpredictable happens, I'll be there at least a year.  My Mom is slightly dreading the fact that it's longer because she thinks her "elusive butterfly" of a daughter is going to get caught, to meet some guy and stay up there for forever.  I just find this funny. 

I've gotten different responses to the new job news, mainly positive ones, including congratulations.  Other  responses have been, "So, who's the guy?!"  Like there wouldn't be another reason to move to South Dakota, haha!  I assured her there was no guy and that there truly was a reason to move there: I'm moving and taking the job for me.

I think it will be quite refreshing to be in one place for an extended period of time, to say the least.  Actually, I think it is much needed.  I'm ready to be as settled as life will allow right now and we'll see what happens from there.  I say that because I don't actually know what will transpire and I still feel as though I have strong ties to Texas due to church, friends, and Army obligations.  Still, I know God is  leading me to be in SD for now, though I don't know exactly why. 

Anyway, the bonus is that I've been to SD before and really enjoyed my time amongst the state's beautiful landscape and the fun with friends, so I'm looking forward to returning.  Side note: if you've never visited, you should!  You could see me and Mount Rushmore :). Beyond that, I believe the job will be a great fit -- I'll be able to get more sports dietetic experience while also being more of an outpatient teacher, and I've heard the people I'll be working for and with are awesome.

So, I will have a home address again very soon!  Still, I know that I have a home with my family in Oklahoma, and, wherever I go, I will make a home for myself.  I also know that I can come back to any of the places I stayed or lived and feel at home.  A good example is the family in Iowa who let me crash at theirs and let me leave my car with them while I vacationed.  They make me feel loved and included, even if time is short.  Another is when I get to visit my best friend.  She lives in Oklahoma with her family and I typically see them there but ever so often I see them in Texas at her parent's house.  They are my adopted family, whom I love dearly.  It's always, always so wonderful to see them and catch up, while relaxing and eating yummy food.  I hope my home and family are like them one, fine day.  

For now, I'm thankful for my new upcoming home and hopeful for the future to be filled with God at work and seeing friends and family from all over at "home" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment