Thursday, June 1, 2017

Musings While Traveling

Here are blurbs from my trip, in no particular order, as I took time to venture through 3 different states to complete my goal of seeing all 50 states before I turn 30 :)  Basically, you're getting a snapshot into my head as I travel about, followed by some favorite pictures I took along the way!

I suppose this trip is unique for several reasons but I don't recall having this song pop into my head since being a kid: "This land is your land.  This land is my land.  From California to the New York island.  From the redwood forest to the Gulf Stream waters.  This land was made for me and you!"  So true and fitting!  Been to all those places ;)

I get annoyed when my luggage gets pulled during checking.  I don't have anything crazy!  Plus, the things "caught" I would have thought wouldn't be and vice versa.  Then, I see why it's flagged and explain what and where it is but no, they have to unpack it all.  For the love!  "This is a well packed bag."  Thanks??  "Did the military teach you this packing?"  No. Give me my bag. 

I'm really liking the USOs!!  No, no.  Thank you for YOUR service.  They've definitely come in handy while waiting for a flight.  God bless America. 

Spending the day in the airport isn't on my list of things to do.  Shocking.  It just goes with flying non-rev, and it's definitely a love-hate kinda thing.  So, if I'm in the bathroom an abnormal amount of time, I'm either in the midst of whole30 or doing squats for exercise.  Keepin' it real. 

I went digging for diamonds in Arkansas!  A guy had been there at the site almost 40 days (!) and found 5 little diamonds so I felt my chances were real slim and my excitement went downhill fast.  I lasted about 1.5 hours :/

I feel like my Dad and I bond over finding flights to get to my destination.  I love him. 

I think Utah (as in Salt Lake City) is my arch nemesis.  I might not make it there again due to weather ...and apparently too many people wanting to fly there for whatever reason!

Note to self: Do not live in Arkansas.  Allergies were immediate and quite terrible. 

It's okay to be last.  Sometimes you get a really sweet car. 😎

I said good job to myself.  I had to pack weeks before leaving and be prepared for desert heat and cold to the mountains to the beach with a sleeping bag and 1-person tent.  I did it all in a 64L backpack and small Kanken day pack.  If that weren't enough, I had forgotten some of the items I packed, so upon discovery, I was like "Alright! Good job packing!"

Camping ain't for sissies.  --Day 1 with friend. 

I'm really camping!  None of this glamping stuff.  I set up my own tent and was so proud :)  --Day 3 without friend. 

I've been frigid most nights I've been sleeping outside lately.  It rained today and hopefully won't tonight.  I think I'm prepared but if not I decided I could just jump in my car.  Then I was like no, I should sleep in the outhouse!  That thing was the cleanest one I've ever seen, didn't stink, and was warm.  Bingo.  (I didn't do it but it was plan C) --Day one too many without friend. 

I seriously saw a sign with Mussentuchit on it as if it were a destination.  Hahaha!!

While hiking or driving, don't forget to stop and look all around. There's so much beauty being missed otherwise! 

Surprisingly, I like camping for the fact that I have to go to bed when it gets dark and then get up when it's light.  I still get about nine hours of sleep and feel rested, and there aren't any distractions like TV to keep me up.  It also makes for a full, next day :) 

I ran into a Dad and his two, young boys (Eric, Trayton, and Ben) from Nebraska, who were delightful and were gracious enough to let me join them for a bit of their hike in Zion NP.  It was a nice break from being by myself.  So thankful!  Side note: Utah is such a beautiful state! And Zion NP is gorgeous and I did one of my most favorite hikes to date there (Angels Landing).  I will be back for sure!

People can knock on MREs all they want, but they came in handy this camping trip!

I like having my phone off, to be purposefully disconnected.  I like even more when I open it up after having it off awhile to hear my text message chime go off.  I've gotten some great texts.  They make me laugh, make me feel loved, or both.

Cruise control is a God-send.

A Fiat Spider124 is going to be my next car.  Fast and sporty :)

I was spending the day in SLC and decided I wanted to do something active like hike.  Even though that's what I'd been doing for the past few days for free, I paid 10 bucks to walk trails and take pictures of flowers.  Go figure. 

I don't understand people who purposely wait until the last minute to board their flight.  Like hello!  I want a seat and your lolly-gagging is making that take longer. 

"4 for $20!!  We want to go home!!"
- guy at farmers market stand

I shoulda been a racecar driver. 

"You WANT those guns."
- guy passing by in park as I'm lifting my bag for an arm workout 

You know you're in a really small town in the middle of basically nowhere Oregon when a store advertises selling firearms and groceries!

And then, when you think there's no service but you turn on your phone anyway, you get a text from a friend who is sweet and encouraging :)

Oregon has some of the prettiest scenery but some of the absolute rudest drivers.

I rode my bike all day around Portland.  I just love cities that I can do that in!  It is one of the best I have experienced for biking and was fun.  I also counted it as a day of training for my portion of an Ironman that me and friends want to do.

I love the beach!  I love the mountains!  I think I could live in Oregon.  Just wish the water were warmer and the drivers nicer. 

No one is at the campground but me.  I'm not sure if that's good or bad.  I do know that if I die tonight in Clearwater Falls, it won't be from mosquitoes.  I sprayed that tent like nobody's business!

Sometimes I just need a hug.  I had one of those moments along with the thought that I needed to talk to my best friend.  (Sometimes you just need a Mom hug and I've found out I'll get one of those a lot sooner than I thought!)  As soon as I got reception, I planned on texting my bestie, and you know what?  A text from her came through.  It's like we're on the same wavelength.  I love when that happens :)

I was driving and the thought crossed my mind, "why are there are so many cars right now?!"  Then I realized that one, I was driving through a "big" city (Bend) and two, I've literally been around absolutely no one for the past few days.  Needless to say, I felt claustrophobic.

Friends see friends.  I drove a ways to see a sweet friend in Washington.  We bonded in TX 3 years ago over Jesus, bikes, and broken body parts, haha!  The visit was much to short but worth it :)

So, it almost goes without saying, while on vacation, you witness some weird things (like a guy playing a harmonic in his car) and you do some gross things (like blow your nose using a sock instead of tissue), yet you do some of the greatest things (like test your fear of heights and your willpower to be alone and quiet) and you make some spectacular memories to reflect on after leaving your time of reprieve (like taking in the majestic views from legit hikes). 

As you can see, my trip has provided a little bit of everything!  Highs and lows.  Joys and failures.  Laughter and almost tears.  Smiles and confusion like "what the...?!"  New experiences and lack of showers.  Seeing sweet friends after years and chatting with family and friends.  Time alone and time with God.  All of which I'm so, so thankful. 

And the fun isn't over just yet!  It's now beach and condo time with friends :)





























No comments:

Post a Comment