Monday, July 2, 2018

Memory Lane

I bought this neat journal that poses a question to you every day, and it's not only for just this year but for five years!  I thought it be cool to compare the me now to the me in five years in our answers.  I also didn't think it would be too hard to write an answer every day but it is.  Haha!

I failed miserably doing it once a day so I'm currently playing catch-up on an embarrassing way too long of a time period.  Some of the questions are very random in my mind, like "What 'type' of person are you?  Um, what?  "Who would play you in a movie about your life?  Is it a good movie?"  Who cares about the actor but duh. Yes, it's a good movie because it's about me and I am answering this question.  "What makes a good enemy?" I seriously wrote "This is a stupid question."  Other questions are more thoughtful like "Who loves you today?" and "What do you consider to be your biggest achievement?"  

The one that got me really thinking and writing this blog post, is this one: "If you could go back in time and change something, what would it be?"  I used to always answer something along the lines of liking a certain crush.  I thought I liked him for too long and felt stupid for it.

It's funny though, I'm going through all my stuff to try and downsize before moving (...yet again) and I actually ran across a couple of notes from him.  One was just a birthday card but the other was actually really nice.  I re-read it and he had complimented me for helping stretch him.  

For the first time when encountering a question basically about regret, I didn't have an answer.  I realized I don't regret liking him or spending so much time with him because maybe something good actually came about.  I also have something to compare.  I can say the guy I'm with currently treats me pretty darn great.  I can't imagine life without him or with this other guy, for that matter.

The other guy is a good guy, don't get me wrong.  He's just not the right one for me.  Actually, looking back on all the guys I have liked or dated or quasi-dated or even thought attractive, I would say the same thing and, thus, wouldn't regret what happened but don't see the need to bring them up again really.  I am with my guy and that's it.  I think he's the best so don't bring up the rest.  And everyone and everything in life happens for a God-given reason. 

Anyway, I threw quite a bit of sentimental stuff away yesterday while cleaning for the move.  It felt good.  It was a nice trip down memory lane but also offered some closure, in a sense, and a brighter path to the future.  Of course, I still kept a lot of sentimental stuff and re-read letters given to me.  I cried as I read what my grandpa, brother, and close friend had written to me and about me.  It was humbling and sweet to read those truths again.  Then it was fun to go through some of my guy's stuff and see more of his life.

I'm grateful for all.  No regrets.  And more journal questions to be answered each day!





No comments:

Post a Comment