Monday, August 8, 2016

25 Fun Facts

A friend was recently applying for Grad schools and one of the schools asked him not for a conventional essay but, rather, a list of 25 things about himself.  Cool.

Such a list could offer more tidbits about oneself to open one's eyes to the vast attributes, talents, life experiences, passions, or dreams of the individual and open the door to wanting to know more versus the individual just being able to convey a smaller piece of oneself that the traditional essay allows.

Even still, I was talking to another friend who said he gets to read some of those conventional, as in "please choose me for this scholarship so I can go to college" type essays.  As he told me some of the essays he's read, I was struck by the amazing lives people have lived and some of the incredible struggles they've overcome.  It's awesome that he gets to read them.  No wonder he likes his job.

Thankfully,` I will not be going back to school unless I so choose.  However, I'm stoked for my friend as he pursues another career, and I went ahead and took a crack at that list, seeing if I, too, would need to make cuts.

1) Everyone has a God-given purpose -- to love and glorify God -- and I try to live life in all that I say and do to this end.

2) I lost my oldest brother when I was 17 and have been changed for the better ever since by being empathetic, not taking life for granted, and seeing God's goodness despite the pain.

3) I look up to my other big brother and cherish our times together.

4) The best moment in my life was accepting Christ, while the second best moment was listening as my friend gave her life to Christ.

5) According to a recently taken strength-finder test, my top 5 strengths, in order, are integrity, strategic planning, optimism, innovation, and faith.

6) As I grow older, I love and respect my parents more for the choices and sacrifices they made for me and my brothers -- private schooling, making church a priority, running us around to various events, helping pay for college, taking annual vacations, etc.  I plan to do the same if I ever have children.

7) I gained one of my very best friends by running marathons.

8) A favorite trip I was able to go on was a medical trip to India because of the gratitude expressed by the locals, my lovely and hard-working team members, being able to learn a new profession from a very patient and loving Dentist, and seeing God's many blessings.

9) My first car was a red Mazda Miata.  It was such a fun ride and I bought it all by my lonesome.

10) I would constantly contest points for the A I thought I had made in high school (and even in college).  Bless one of my favorite teacher's heart, Mr. Tracy!  I usually won and ended up reaching my goal of being Valedictorian.

11) Some words I've heard over and over by others to describe me would be diligent, fun, sweet, beautiful, intimidating, competitive, smart, and genuine.

12) I LOVE to travel!  It's so enticing that I once applied to be a flight attendant and even made it to the end stage.

13) The ah-hah moment that I knew I wanted to become a Dietitian (RD) was when my teacher said she helped a man nutritionally get well and get out of the hospital.  Nutrition truly is a passion of mine, and I want to help others get well nutritionally, too.

14) My most favorite professor is Dr. Knehans -- a friend, mentor, former thesis chair, and stand-out person.

15) I constantly have music on, it seems.  I love it so much that I decided to fly to Sweden for a favorite band's concert that I couldn't yet get a ticket for... I made the show and traveled around Scandinavia and even saw another concert during the trip.

16) I was an RA in college.  Best. Job. Ever.

17) One of the best summers of my life was working as a camp counselor in Maryland.

18) Another "best summer" was my first travel RD assignment in South Dakota because of the work environment that helped me grow so much professionally, all the friends I made, all the hikes I went on, and all the national parks and monuments I visited.

19) My favorite subject in high school was math; I graduated from my favorite subject in college, which was Health and Exercise Science.

20) I have 5 kids that are very dear to me: my best friend's two little girls, my nephew, and the two kids I sponsor.

21) Boomer Sooner.  Go OU.  Always.

22) I have several nicknames, from Heartbreaker to Muffin, but one of my favorites will never be spoken again or known except by family because it was given to me by my deceased brother.

23) Some of my biggest struggles are with body image and self-confidence that goes with it and with being alone.

24) I am not ashamed to say that I love swim aerobics and would go to class with my grandparents.

25) I joined the Army Reserves 2 years ago for many reasons, but, in the end, it doesn't matter; It really is an honor to serve.

It was really challenging to get it down to only 25!  Even thought about making two lists -- one for growing up until high school and the other from college to present.  Nonetheless, I'm sure you learned something new about me!  However, we all are unique and have a story to tell or facts as it may be. :)  Share yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment