Wednesday, August 3, 2016

American Way Magazine

After stressing about making my flight (personally induced, definitely not AA induced), it was quite nice to sit and read the American Way magazine that I enjoy so much.  I always read the Editor's Note by Adam Pitluk, yet read the August issue featuring Neil Young basically from cover to cover.
I especially enjoyed Adam's "Now I'm Running Down the Road" since it took me to Darius Nabors' "Park and Recreation" article.  Both brilliant pieces pointed out many things I've been experiencing for myself.

I have recently become a travel Dietitian and my first assignment is in South Dakota.  Taking full advantage of the new scenery (I'm from OK/TX), I have visited more national parks -- Badlands, Black Hills, Yellowstone, Grand Teton -- in the past weeks than in almost my whole life!  Now I will consider more parks as a vacation and new adventure much more quickly (maybe even be as adventurous to take on pieces of Darius' tour!) since I kept thinking while in the parks, "I need more time!!"  ...Time to see in depth God's creation and "just how spectacularly beautiful this country is," as Adam said, as well as to unplug from social media and put work on hold, to truly make lasting memories to share.

I sent all the above into the American Way editor to hopefully be published and then be entered into a drawing for 100,000 AAdvantage miles.  Fingers crossed!!

As you can see, that was the short and sweet version.  I figured my long-windedness probably wouldn't be published so, you, my little blog readers, get it here:

I just read about this guy who quit his job, convinced a friend to join him on a sweet trip, and then set out do it -- see all 59 national parks in 59 weeks!  That. Is. Awesome. 

I was struck not only by the feat of what they were doing and the amazing views and experiences they were having (since I've had a small taste) but also by the fact that he (Darius) said this,

"When people hear about my trip to visit all the national parks, there's an initial assumption that I'm running away from a bad job or a bad relationship.  You know, the classic "My life is horrible, I must escape to nature, commune with the trees and return to society whole and healed" kind of story.  I'm sorry to disappoint, but I'm not running to nature for repairs.  I am running to nature because it is objectively beautiful -- and because, like Forrest Gump, I like to run
.
Before I left, I was leading what was, by most conventional measures, a pretty good life: living in downtown Charlottesville, Virginia; working for my alma mater, the University of Virginia, as a fundraiser for the School of Nursing.  I could take my running shoes to work and, at the end of the day, be on a secluded nature trail in five minutes.

Life was good.  It just wasn't enough.

One day, it struck me that my year consisted of 237 work days and 24 (precious) vacation days, which presented a mathematical problem: How could I derive the most fun and joy with family and friends out of those 24 vacation days? No matter how I divided my days, I couldn't get everything on the list.

I kept envisioning myself as a grandfather sitting on a porch with my future wife and kids.  We sit, cups in hand, reminiscing about the good ol' days.  One of my kids asks, 'What do you most regret, Dad?' Without skipping a beat, I say, 'I wish I would have gone on that trip to visit all the national parks.'"

Darius hits it out of the park! (Yeah, read into that pun)  It's cool that he acknowledges that he's not running from anything but, really, running to take advantage of an opportunity while consequently not having regrets as well as literally running.  My kinda guy.

I feel like I can relate.  While looking for another job, I prayed, sought wise counsel, and prayed some more.  I didn't want to be "running from a bad job" and I had a good life -- friends and family near, could bike to work, had a wonderful church, had good running loops, plenty of fun things to do like dancing, awesome apartment and landlords, etc., etc., etc.  Yet I thought it wasn't enough.

How do you get those 24 vacation days to really pay off??  Exactly.  I know I can do it because I've done it before but with the chance to have more time off than that, that's super appealing.  Having a travel job gives me some flexibility with my work schedule, more chances to explore, and way more time off if I want it.

The author had a friend to go with on this trip.  As did another super ambitious mountain climber, Melissa Arnot and friend Maddie Miller, who I read was climbing 50 of the highest peaks in the 50 States in 50 days.  Also awesome.  I don't have such luck with traveling friends these days.  Might be my bad, but I have, however, been blessed with great, forever friends since arriving in SD, and maybe I should put out applications for when I travel for fun.  So, anyone want to go Australia and/or New Zealand?!? :)  I'm being serious. 

I'm also being serious when I say that I miss my friends in Texas and Oklahoma and my family.  I knew it would be hard, yet it's different when the fact that you're missing out on life events or fun things or deep, in person conversations keeps hitting you in the face one after another.  For now, I can only do my best to keep up with people and know that I'm not going to be so distant for forever.

Not living with regrets, like Darius mentions, is ideal.  I have 2 so far in life, and I don't wish to have more.  Obviously, I think I would have regretted not taking the travel job, especially if I would have not gone for it because I was scared (live fearlessly is a life statement), because of a guy (especially if nothing actually happened or we broke up soon after dating), because I thought Army would hold me back (they are working with me, praise God), because of any other silly excuse I may come up with!

I was reminded by my sweet, best friend to pray and that God is big.  He can make possible what seems impossible.  So, God can crush my fears, He can help me figure out how to still serve my country, and He can bring the right guy into my life -- one who truly wants to be with me, who puts in effort, and one who makes the cut, like isn't "too boring" as all the guys I've ever mentioned to a certain friend are just that to her... hmm... haha!  She then, unprompted, listed a myriad of reasons as to why I'm beautiful, Godly, adventurous, smart, brave, and wonderful and should wait for a super great guy, who's up to speed, to steal my heart.  Love her!  I think I'm picky but, boy, my friends also have high standards for who gets me!  Love it.

The view that I didn't have enough is beginning to change slightly, but the reality is that I am still trying to find a way to get what I want: the guy I want to share life with, the next adventure I want to take, the job I want, the boss and coworkers I want, the place I want to call home close to family and good friends.

Like Darius' epic park tour, my travel RD experience may only last 59 weeks, too.  I don't know.  My world could be flipped upside down very soon in a good or bad way for all I know!  The fact is, is that all I know right now is that I'm not staying in SD but will visit when I can.  Man, sometimes I wish I could see just a glimpse of the future because then I would know a piece of the puzzle.  Alas, it doesn't work like that.  Still, I know I shouldn't be worried about the future; I'm in God's hands.

And you shouldn't worry either... I'll let you know if I get published in the American Way magazine or if I go to more glorious national parks.

No comments:

Post a Comment