Sunday, December 18, 2016

Baby, It's Freakin' Freezing Outside

Dad:  The high here is supposed to be 21. Is it cold there?
Me:  Oh my good gracious, yes!!!! It was 1° at one point today according to a friend's van!
Dad:  Wow, too cold for me. 
Me:  Yeah, me too! 

It can obviously get pretty cold in Oklahoma, which is my Dad's current location and where I grew up, and Texas can get its far share of cold weather, but I'm on a new level or maybe I just blocked out all the numbness growing up.  That or I was too busy running around in the snow, making snow angels, or sledding on the neighborhood to really notice that my face was hurting from the unforgiving wind or that my feet and hands were literally frozen.

Then you grow up.  It's a trap.  

I've dealt with ice storms and blizzards, but the past few days have been pretty brutal.  I don't like being a wimp but even the Iowans have said this is unusually cold and one of the worst storms/times.  I am still being called out for being a Texan, however, while running for the protection of the car.  Haha! 

So, when a coworker realized I only had about two weeks left here, she asked, "what would you do if you met a guy right now?!"  I didn't say anything, just shrugged my shoulders.  My answer, though, is that he should move to Texas.  Although, I should have asked how many Hallmark movies she's watched already this year.

Needless to say, I think Iowa will be the furthest north I will ever live after this taste of winter.  Yet, I am thankful to God that there was an extended fall, especially since I got to run during that time.  I also have to sincerely praise God that it has only been this terrible here at the end of my stent and that I am getting to experience such craziness in my book with sweet friends, who let me into their warm houses and who actually know how to drive in this weather!

I mean, when else would I get the time to make a super awesome train track for a spunky 5-year-old or pick a pretty shade of red to paint my nails with a 14-year-old or play card games with my coworker and friend with the above kids, or watch Christmas movies while drinking hot chocolate and chatting with a ? year old?!

I will be looking for warmer travel job locations during the winter time in the future and researching temperatures of places better.  Lesson learned.  I will also be praying for Hawaii! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment