Tuesday, December 27, 2016

Contagious

I read a book called "Falling Upward" by Richard Rohr given to me by a friend, who stated it was a life-changing book and given to him at a time of transition in life.  I finished it by the time I arrived in Iowa.  I read a book called "Love Does" given to me technically by my Mom, who had it on her dining room table when I went home for Christmas.  I finished it today as I'm about to leave Iowa.  Perfect, perfect, perfect timing for both! 

The first book challenged me to think outside of the box and to evaluate two halves of life.  I went through a very rough spot while here in Iowa and, a few weeks ago, reread some of that book.  To my astonishment, it was as if I was reading what just happened in my life.  I couldn't believe that I hadn't fully picked up on it while reading it the first time, but, then again, I think that's kind of the point.  It's not as if reading the book and fully comprehending what I was reading would have helped me avoid what happened.  I wouldn't wish to have missed that heartache, honest.  I had to go through it to make it real for me.  I had to fall in order to see my need for God.

I like this snippet from the book:
"The first task, which the hero or heroine thinks is the only task, is only the vehicle and warm-up act to get him or her to the real task.  He or she "falls through" what is merely his or her life situation to discover his or her Real Life which is always a much deeper river, hidden beneath the appearances.  Most people confuse their life situation with their actual life, which is an underlying flow beneath the every day events.  This deeper discovery is largely what religious people mean by "finding their soul."

Another: 
"St. Francis, who did not concentrate on attacking evil or others, but just spent his life falling, and falling many times into the good, the true, and the beautiful.  It was the only way he knew how to fall into God."

The second book is exactly what I wish my life to be, along with my blog posts :)  Each chapter is a small story with an outstanding lesson in a man's well lived life, which points to God.  For instance, the prelude to chapter 7 is "I used to think Jesus motivated us with ultimatums, but now I know He pursues us in love."  

cried.  I laughed a lot.  I thought and reflected.  I decided I want to do the same as the author. 

In the forward is the following:
"Bob Goff loves people with a force that is natural, and by natural I mean like nature, like a waterfall or wind or waves on the ocean.  He loves effortlessly, as though love packs annually in snow on the mountain, melting and rushing through him in an infinite loop.  There's no explanation for a man who can love this well save God.  I think Bob Goff knows God, and I think God's love flows through him." 

The overall theme of the book is that love does; Love does things.  From letting a complete stranger propose on his boat after a dinner on his back porch to sending an outlandish amount of flowers to a sweet old lady who ejected him from his Jeep after hitting him on the road to becoming a Consul for Uganda to encouraging his kids to be friends with world leaders to igniting a young person for a life changing role to people and words that will never be forgotten to fist fights and beyond.  What seems like the ordinary becomes a beautiful story of God's love at work, love in action.  

The author talks about not having a plan and that's where I feel I am in life, yet he thinks that's the best place to be in order to see God's bigger and better plan than I could ever imagine unfold.  This and something my Dad said while I was at home just put me at peace.  In short, my Dad said it was more than okay to not be where others think you should be, to not have what others think you should have, but rather, to live the life that God has set before you. 

I realize I have an atypical life and I'm okay with it.  I mean, having a dance party to my music can't always go down like it did tonight.  Yeah, that happened.  And amidst the fun and crazy, I want to continue to take advantage of the time that I have right now to do something I love, to see the country and world, to grow stronger both personally and professionally, to meet people along the way, to share the love that I have whether or not people know how to accept it, and see what God does. 

So, changing my attitude to reflect this truth has given me a lot of joy!  I'm choosing to see things differently, in a good way.  It's exciting!  When I get excited and when I'm happy, I get chatty and I just want to share!  It may come out in different ways towards different people but I honestly hope that it comes out as genuine, kind, compassionate, faithful, good, and more.  I hope it's as the book says, "if you are a sincere friend, folks around you will quickly understand that there's no hidden agenda and nothing on the other side of the equals sign -- just you."
 
Finding your Real Life is good. 
Falling is good. 
God is good. 

Joy is contagious.  
Passion is contagious. 
God's love is contagious. 

No comments:

Post a Comment