Tuesday, December 20, 2016

The List

Every. Single. Year. The dreaded Christmas list makes its appearance.

The list of people to buy for really doesn't change, actually I've added one with my nephew coming into the world, but really, no changes in a lot of years.  So, even though the people don't change, I can't get them the same thing year after year.  Well, I could and I do for some but that's beside the point. 

I used to stress about getting everyone just the right gift, something they would enjoy and really like.  That stress, I think, was, in part, due to leaving my shopping until the absolute last minute.  Now I don't do either.

I've decided to start my shopping early like October time, though I also buy little things throughout the year if I see something and it reminds me of someone.  Honestly, I started doing that for my Mom and it's been the best!  Now, just remembering where I put the darn thing when Christmas time does roll around... 

Even as I write this, I have all my presents nicely in a row, all ready to go!  To be sure, I still have a couple gifts to get because they require a purchase in a state I'm not in but still!  Oh, happy day when everything was done and all the gift buying checked off!  Happier day was wrapping all the gifts as I thought about each person and the fact that I liked what I was giving :) 

I think the hardest people to buy for our my Dad and my Grandparents, though.  I feel like Grandparents are obvious because they have everything they could possibly need and then some, and you know everyone in the family is buying something for them so you're hard-pressed.  As for my Dad, it's just the same old story.

This actually happened.  I am not lying.  I don't lie.  Period.  Besides, you just can't make this up!

Me:  Dad, I need a Christmas list from you please!
Dad:  A plunger and an electric toothbrush.
Me:  Are you serious?!  No.  I'm not getting you a plunger. 
Me to Mom (so we both don't get him the same gift):  Are you getting Dad an electric toothbrush?
Mom:  No, it won't fit in the bathroom.
Me:  Are you serious?! The man asked for two things and you're denying me getting him one, and I'm not getting him a plunger!  Ugh. 

Classic Dad.  Asking for stuff he needs (and that costs like nothing) but never going beyond to tell us what he actually wants, like something he wouldn't buy himself ordinarily.  I did come at him with that angle but to no avail.  So, guess what he got?  

Anyway, because I'm deciding not to stress about "the perfect gift" and since I started shopping well before the week before Christmas, I'm actually enjoying Christmas a lot more.  I love the lights, the decorations, and the time with friends and family.  And most definitely the music!

This song by Jason Gray came on and I thought it perfect.  Because really, Christmas is coming yet again, and it's important to reflect on why we celebrate Christmas in the first place, which is Christ's birth -- the Messiah coming into the world!

Here is a YouTube link if you want to actually hear the song:

Here are some of the lyrics:
"Christmas is coming, the bells are ringing
Hope comes alive as music fills the air
Some say Christmas is for children and I believe it's true
Can you hear the season calling to the child inside of you?
Awaken from your slumber see with younger eyes
And be taken by the wonder that took the whole world by surprise!

Prepare ye the way
For God's own baby boy
Born to mend all broken things
And to heal the world with joy
He will heal the world with joy!

I don't want you to miss it, I know I have before 
Like the innkeeper who missed the wonder right outside his door
So open up your heart as Christmas passes through
Just in time to wake the child asleep inside of you."

No comments:

Post a Comment